Get Behind Me Satan review by The White Stripes

• Released: Jun 6, 2005
The White Stripes: Get Behind Me Satan

When I first saw the reviews for Get Behind Me Satan, they were much worse than I was expecting. However, matching the musical diety of Elephant is no easy task. Jack's marimba is not my favorite part of the album, but it adds nice flavor and a different twist to the White Stripes. He adds fabulous guitar work on "As Ugly As I Seem" and catchy piano riffs on "Denial Twist," "Take, Take Take," and "My Doorbell." Althought these have been referred to as "pop-ish," I consider "Denial Twist" my favorite song on the album. It is much different than the grungey guitar riffs and heavy blues. Don't get me wrong, I love the blues, but Get Behind Me Satan was sort of a break from all that.

I absolutely loved Jack's song writing on Satan. However, I believe that the lyrics on Elephant were far more superior than the ones on Satan. Jack used lyrics seemed to fit the tempo and mood of the song perfectley in Satan. His voice is better than ever, however, I didn't like the singing on Passive Manipulation and on Blue Orchid. These really put a damper on the album for me, and put a sour taste in my mouth.

Overall, I enjoyed Get Behind me Satan. As a sabatacle from the normal Stripes, they have taken the road less traveled and still manage to keep fans devoted. Witty songwriting and incredible song structure are the backbone of this album.