Get Behind Me Satan review by The White Stripes

• Released: Jun 6, 2005
The White Stripes: Get Behind Me Satan

This is definetly the best sounding White Stripes album. Though, I think some fans will be dissapointed with it. It contains very little of the tipical Stripes' garage rock (songs like Blue Orchid, Instinct Blues, Red Rain). This album is very experimental; Jack White introduces some new components to the sound such as marimba (a great instrument; I also play it), bass, pop tunes etc. In my opinion, this is the best possible musical path WS could have taken after the huge success of their 4th album Elephant. They are growing up, they sound more mature and they are eager to put their music on a higher, more professional level.

Lyrics are truly amazing. Jack shows his full potential as a songwriter. He uses few words to say much. There are a lot of hidden meanings in his songs. Lyrically, the best songs are Little Ghost, White Moon and The Denial Twist. I find Passive Manipulation (the shortest song on the album) also quite interesting. Meg sings this one with her effortless and childish voice which is perfect because the words are kind of disturbing. The best lyrics Jack has written so far.

Overall, this is a great album. I'm glad that the Stripes have made a necessary step forward in their career (compared to Elephant), highlighting their name in rock history. I strongly reccommend this album, not only to WS fans, but also to all true rock fans out there. Just be patient when listening, you won't be dissapointed.