Get Behind Me Satan review by The White Stripes

• Released: Jun 6, 2005
The White Stripes: Get Behind Me Satan

I'm new to the world of the White Stripes (only hearing of a couple songs here and there on radio and TV). Get Behind Me Satan was quite an interesting introduction compared to what little of them I had already heard. This CD is laid back (not the type of music I'm known to listen to), catchy (good few songs to work to), but takes a couple plays to get used to (some of the songs are a bit creepy). There were some effective methods to making some ordinary songs into something quite effective. Like in "Little Ghost." You are put into a what the hell moment when you hear what seems to be a banjo. Quite an inventive and amusing album compared to a lot of the hard rock/garage scene.

Great lyrics, even if the way some of them are presented catch me as sorta creepy. "Take Take Take" presents Jack White singing the same song twice. He has a good voice, so I say double the pleasure. He does well in the much faster song "The Denial Twist" also. This album is filled with impressive lyrics from start to end. Some songs are given and almost country style. Though most of the rest are blues and alternative all the way through.

It compares well in it's own unique way. It's not what you hear on your everyday rock radio station. The Denial Twist was my favorite track. Has good beat to it, and can be listened to over and over. Other recomendations "Blue Orchid" (for just giving off a creepy vibe), and "Little Ghost" (for just amusing the hell out of me). I just like this album for being creative and new. Though it is nothing like I was expecitng so there was a bit of a drawback. Not For someone wanting something fast and loud. Well, if it were stolen I probably would buy an earlier White Stripes album since I would already have this one saved to my pc/mp3 player. Just thinking 10 steps ahead. I'll recommend this, but not to any average metal-head.