Get Behind Me Satan review by The White Stripes

• Released: Jun 6, 2005
The White Stripes: Get Behind Me Satan

To start I havn't heard any of The White Stripes other work, so I can't really compare to that, and I'm a '60s and '70s nut (I'm 16 if any one cares) so no I've never heard 7-Nation Army. My first impression of this album was that it was garbage. I liked "Denial Twist" but that was about it. Recently though, I've been listening to the album in its entirety a lot and its really grown on me."Little Ghost" and "The Nurse" are very strange compared to the stuff most people listen to, and "The Nurse" is very similar to "Forever For Her" in design which makes the jist of the first half of the cd weird to listen to. The second half is much easier to get into, featuring some routine Stripes(from what I've heard) in "Instinct Blues" and "Red Rain" as well as Jacks Acoustic masterpiece "As Ugly As I Seem." The mix of Blues and good old Rock are nice, and even though I think country music is garbage, the stuff on here is certainly worth the listen.

The lyrics are awesome, love stories, heartbreak, inner turmoil, all great stuff, besides, I'd much rather here about what Jack has to say than anyone else in modern rock. Jacks voice is great also, it covers a fairly broad range of techniques (listen to "Blue Orchid" then "Little Ghost" then "My Doorbell") I love hearing it crack, it keeps the music human. Also Meg sings on here, and she's alright, though since she's only singing one song for about 30 secs so I'm not gonna dock points.

The White Stripes are individuals, and in the '00s thats a good thing to hear. The best songs on here would probably be: "My Doorbell" because of its catchyness factor, and "As Ugly As I Seem" for being a great piece, both lyrically and musically. Other than that, I think "White Moon" deserves a second listen, though all of the tracks are solid. Here's some advice: Start at "The Denial Twist" and work your way to the end of the CD, it makes a much better impression than just starting with all the experimental material (which they put at the front of the cd for some reason). If it were stolen I'd be off to the music store.

El Jordo
    what ever happened to the ripping solos from such tracks as Ball & Biscuit????
    WhiteStripesIII
    'Satan' is the best 'stripes' album. The best song on the album is the denial twist (I've listened to it over 3000 times... seriously) the other good songs are my doorbell, blue orchid, red rain, little ghost and instinct blues and pretty much the intire album. The reason Jack White's vocals are higher is due the fact that he gave up smoking.