Get Behind Me Satan review by The White Stripes

• Released: Jun 6, 2005
  • Reviewer's score: 2.7 Junky
The White Stripes: Get Behind Me Satan

The White Stripes are one of the best examples of modern developing music. Using only one guitar and a very basic drum beat, the band is able to make amazing songs. Unfortunatly they made a huge mistake with the songs they made on this album (Get Behind Me Satan) which in my opinion is a down step from their last album Elephant (more like jumping off a cliff than a down step). I have to give them credit for the one good song on the album which is "Blue Orchid" which shows that they can still do something.

The lyrics are absolulty the worst part of this album. The poetic mind of Jack White was clearly on vacation during the writing of this album. It seems threw out most of the songs he is just babbling on about nothing at all, and is just saying things because they ryhme. Sorry if you can make sence of this but personally it just seems like a whole bunch of broken ideas comming from no where (and if you want another examples of bad lyrics, take any verse from song 2 to 13).

I really liked the White Stripes up till this album, and I hope they get back on track with songs like "The Air Between My Fingers," "Seven Nation Army" and "Dead Leaves And Dirty Ground" but this album is not worth the money or the time of day to listen to(buy "Blue Orchid" as a single or something). I got a free White Stripes CD for anyone who wants it.

justinR951
    Geek_Aus wrote: davidgilmourfan : "Satan" isn't cool... that's not what Jack meant with the title.... Anyways... great album. Yeah, the Stripes aren't satanic. They're christian, I'm pretty sure..... awesome album. red rain is one of the coolest songs ever.
    don't try to make yourself feel better by callin em christian
    Geek_Aus
    JacksMyHero
    This was the first album I ever listened to by the white stripes. I heard Denial Twist on the daily show and bought the album. The white stripes became my favorite band soon after. I started getting the other albums though like white blood cells and elephant. I realized that this album was different than those. Like less guitar and more piano. I love the white stripes, but if i ranked all the albums this one is close to last. Still a great album, but not my favorite anymore. Jack white is the best guitarist ever, i wish i heard more of his breath taking, mind blowing, riffs and solos in this. I hear a little in Instinct Blues. I wouldnt recommend this to someone who hasnt listened to the stripes before. Not cuz it's bad (cuz it's not) but cuz the white stripes arent usually like this and have better music. Id rather recommend de stijl or elephant. White stripes own.
    TJgreenwood
    the White Stripes are indeed Christian, they thank God on all their albums. i didn't like this one at first but now i love it- it really grows on you
    mike_anderson25
    yea meg hasnt gt da best voice but it stil a kik ass album instinct blues, the nurse, red rain and blue orchid are all gud
    DirtyFryBassGuy
    the white stripes aren't christian rock. . .how could you even think that? jack is definitely catholic though. he almost went into the seminary, but he had just gotten a new amp and didn't think they'd let him bring it with him.