Icky Thump review by The White Stripes

• Released: Jun 19, 2007
The White Stripes: Icky Thump

On The Stripes' comeback single they return possibly heavier then they ever have been before. Unlike most of the tracks on the previous release, Get Behind Me Satan, Jack and Meg, go back to what they do best, heavy, blues guitar based rocking. the song features only three actual riffs, and numerous solos where Jack stomps on the wah pedal like it's a ferocious beast and he's trying to vanquish it. Meg's drumming is the usual simple beats, what has become a signature part of their sound. By far, this is the best stripe song to date.

Icky Thump appears to be about immigration policies, with an over all good message with out completely thrashing our society and everyone in it. Jack sings of treating immigrants, escpescially those from Mexico, equally and showing them respect. A good message, indeed.

I don't mean to glorify the crap out of this song, but it's definetly my favorite White Stripes song, except maybe Ball and Bisquit. The guitars on here are real cool and are a good departure from the common power chord strumming that so many bands today have. The White Stripes prove you don't have to fit in a mold to be popular. Buy this, right now.

burnthestringz
    This song is by far the best new song i have heard. Its wayyyyy better than all this 'this is why im hot" stuff
    Neon Grunge
    Awesome, Jack White's a great guitarist and i love every bit of him. Can't wait to hear some of his new stuff
    VK007
    mmmmm jack white, he is the cream of the crop p.s bite me
    FaceTheBass
    It's early to say, but this might become one of my favorites, too. Good call on Ball and Bisquit. I love that song. My favorite Stripes songs are the really bluesy ones like "Ball and Bisquit" and "Instinct Blues." But out of their more rock oriented stuff like "Blue Orchid" and "Dead Leaves and the Firty Ground," "Icky Thump" definitely ranks at the top.
    GraysonBot
    DirtyFryBassGuy wrote: this album is going to make my summer and i wouldn't be surprised if it turns out to be the greatest of the year. . . . . . plus it's gonna be so much better than chinese democracy (if it ever comes out. . . stupid gnr)
    Yeah. Chinese Decomcracy will make the summer of 2027 the greatest ever!
    RyanMcCartney
    Overly glorified in this review in my opinion. Its an okay song. Definately not the 'best white stripes song so far'. Though I do agree with the meaning behind the song. And that Jack is a f*cking amazing guitarist.
    scimitar_255
    * i meant octave, not wah
    Yeah, that makes more sense. Here was I thinking "...there's no wah in this song!"
    DirtyFryBassGuy
    WhereArtEsteban
    deathbat411 wrote: what idiots rated this so that its only got a five rating?
    People who have a negative feeling twords any band will come an vote without without hearing it. Bastards dont have enough balls to post on why they gave it a 5.
    Partyboy2k05
    I like this song, an all around good rock song. The political lyrics...eh, they're alright.
    taylordcaddy
    cant wait see how this 1940s synth jack picked to play on the new album sounds and no whammy just the same old octive pedle hes always used sounds jammin working with a full band has brought him to a higher ground when i didnt know if he could even get any better
    8th_Nation
    Jack said once he wasn't very political anymore, but this song is exhibit A that he still is quite a bit. A departure from their usual goodies, but I think a good direction to go. the chaotic keyboards and whammy are especially fun.
    Wingate
    Yeah, I definately hear the Jimmy Page influence in that song. It's definately one of my favorite White Stripes songs.