Icky Thump review by The White Stripes

• Released: Jun 19, 2007
The White Stripes: Icky Thump

The White Stripes are back and rockin. Guitarist, Singer, and Piano player Jack White was with The Raconteurs for awile but now he is back with Meg White on the drum kit. Their new album Icky Thump is a great way to start things back up again. The sound is very interesting on this album. It is a sound that I can't describe. The first song off the album is Icky Thump. This song is great. Meg White has a thumping bass drum through out the song. I love Jack Whites singing in this song. Also the guitars roar. The next track is You Don't Know What Love Is (You Just Do As You're Told). This song is very catchy, one of my favorites. The song is good start to finish with great music and lyrics. Up next is 300 M.P.H. Torrential Outpour Blues. This song has a very interesting riff played. It is more of a mellow song. Also the lyrics are cool in this song. Conquest is the next track. This song is very weird. It wasnt what I expected. It has some horns in it which is different. Also the thing I noticed about this songs is Jack sings really good in it. Bone Broke is the next song. This song will remind you of just normal White Stripes stuff. Its a cool song because it has a cool guitar riff and Jack just screams in it. The next two songs are very intresting, they also connect with each other. Prickly Thorn, But Sweetly Worn and St. Andrew (This Battle Is In The Air) are two songs with a very different sound, it sounds kind of Irish. Also St. Andrew (This Battle Is In The Air) kind of reminds me of the ending of The Who's Baba O Riley. Little Cream Soda is the next track, this song is very heavy. It sounds kind of metal. Its a good song though, its another loud distorted guitar song, which is never a bad thing. Next is the blues influenced song titled Rag & Bone. This song reminds me of John Lee Hookers Boogie Chillun. In the song a simple riff is played and Jack and Meg have conversations through out the song. Im Slowly Turning Into You comes up next. Jack White sings great in this song. Also I love the riff in the song. This song is probably my favorite of the album. Next track is A Martyr For My Love For You. The drums fit great in this song. Jack sings very calmly in this song. Its very catchy and its also one of my favorites. Catch Hell Blues is another blues influenced song. Jack White plays a great slide guitar. Its pretty catchy. I like that fact that it is more bluesy then the other tacks. And the last song on the album is Effect & Cause. This song is kind of country like other White Stripes songs such as It's True That We Love One Another and Your Southern Can Is Mine. Its a nice way to end the album with some basic drums and Jack just strumming some chords and singing along.

Well as far as the singing goes this is Jacks best vocals on an album in my opinion. He just sings with such heart and passion, its great. Also his voice is one of a kind. The lyrics are pretty good on this album. A few lines that I enjoy are "You can't be a pimp and a prostitute too" from the song Icky Thump. Also I like the line "I'm breaking my teeth off, trying to bite my lip" from 300 M.P.H. Torrential Outpour Blues. And also I just like the line You Don't Know What Love Is (You Just Do As You're Told).

Overall this album is great. My favorites are You Don't Know What Love Is (You Just Do As You're Told), I'm Slowly Turning Into You, and A Martyr For My Love For You. This album will probably be the best album of the summer because I think The White Stripes are way ahead of every other musical act around these days. This album is also really good cause it has alot of different sounds. You have mellow songs like You Don't Know What Love Is (You Just Do As You're Told)and A Martyr For My Love For You, hard rockers like Icky Thump, Bone Broke, and Little Cream Soda, blues influenced songs like Rag & Bone and Catch Hell Blues, and a ton more of intresting/different songs. Any one with good taste in any type of rock music should buy this album.

Ikey
    really like this album, i dont think its there best but it is very close.
    TheWorks
    This album is so much worse than allt heir other ones. Better than most albums but they go too far with their "creatvity" and what comes out is repetitive solo after repetitive solo interspersed with some half thought out lyrics. Not impressive.
    LynchMobster
    this is great. Prickly Thorn, But Sweetly Worn is very zeppelin-ish and i love it. He even sounds like Plant a lil on it. Bone Broke, Icky Thump, and You Dont Knoqw What Love IS all rock too. And to wolven, they are not the only blues muscicians out now. Listen to Clutch. Listen to Gravel Road, Who's Been Talkin?, and Electric Worry by them. And they instrumental part of the band formed the blues instrumental band "The Bakerton Group", whose three-song ep you can download of Clutch's homepage.
    Wolven
    I need it. If I get this and the self-titled I'll have every White Stripes CD. I really like the sound of Rag and Bone and Catch Hell BLues. The White Stripes are the only (true)Blues musicians out right now, so eat your heart out Amy Winehouse!
    scarfacesuit
    this album sounds pretty interesting. i've never actually owned a stripes album, but i've been a radio fan of them for a while now. i might pick this one up.
    spaceboy85
    ToesKa wrote: saturday the vinyl version is mine with the exclusive peppermint thingy
    me too!
    ToesKa
    saturday the vinyl version is mine with the exclusive peppermint thingy
    Surrylic
    I've only listened to a few songs of theirs, but after reading the UG review I think I'll have to give this and their other albums a much more in depth listen...
    Lauke_101
    Catch Hell Blues, Little Cream Soda, Bone Broke and I'm Slowly Turning Into You are some of their best dirty blues tracks around, and A Martyr For My Love For You is so beautiful =) I love their latest release =D It almost exceeded my expectations
    Lauke_101
    Sorry for double posting xD but I really like the Mexican influences on songs liek Conquest too.. gives some extra flair and variation to the whole album
    daytripper75
    i think the album is great. probably my second favorite White Stripes album. my favorite would be De Stijl.
    Cobalt Blue
    I've only heard 2 tracks. Icky Thump and the other track they played on Connan last year.
    ZeppelinFloyd
    i read somewhere that jack white said there were bagpipes on the studio version of icky thump. im not sure if thats true, but when they play it live he uses a synthesizer for that part.
    jvdude3
    Im not even done listening to the entire album yet and this is my favorite yet. Lovin it
    RockhavenGuitar
    this is my favorite white stripes album (and I have them all so i can say that; and it isnt just hype)
    deanodon
    best white stripes album by a mile. defo worth a listen. however, i think once you've heard it 2 or 3 times it gets kinda dull, so not one of the greatest ever albums.