Icky Thump review by The White Stripes

• Released: Jun 19, 2007
The White Stripes: Icky Thump

"Icky Thump" is a return to the fuzz-laden blues/rock that catapulted the White Stripes into stardom. The quirky duo rocks out with the title track, also called "Icky Thump". While Jack cuts loose with wild vocals, fuzz, and squeals, Meg anchors the rhythm with a kick drum beat you can almost march with. Rag & Bone employs an infectious guitar riff while Jack and Meg play the part of poor junk collectors. Throughout the verses, Jack and Meg abandon traditional singing roles for conversation. St. Andrew (This Battle is in The Air) is delightfully experimental. Meg's synthetic-sounding vocals, the bagpipes, and the electric guitar that refuses to stay on key all combine to open your ears to a unique experience. From the fuzzy in your face rock of Little Cream Soda to the bi-polar blues of 300 MPH Torrential Outpour Blues, this is and album that is able to remain simple and powerful while retaining the signature zaniness and wild experimentation of the White Stripes.

Jack sings with the emotion of a seasoned bluesman and infuses his songs with lyrics are equal parts storytelling and emotional release. Jack even addresses the current immigration issue in the US with "Icky Thump". Meg has progressed as well. Her vocals on St. Andrew are a perfect fit, and I'm not just saying that because she's as cute as a kitten.

This is the best White Stripes release yet. I instantly had to learn "Icky Thump" and "Rag & Bone" after buying the CD. I highly recommend this album to anyone with open ears. This is easily one of the best albums of 2007 and I would be shocked if the Stripes didn't take home at least one or two Grammies with this thing.

The-Red-Sky
    I don't see whats so good about it yet. I'll have to listen to it some more to get used to it
    mygibsonrocks
    this album is so wierd, but thats what makes it the white stripes! the more i listen to it, the more i love it.
    Musicislife539
    DirtyFryBassGuy wrote: btw, icky thump is a bastardization of "ecky thump", an expression from northern england that basically means "what the hell?" so jack basically named his new album "what the hell?" just thought i'd point that out
    hahah. niiiice.
    ledzeppelin13
    amazing album! not a weak track here, at first Conquest was a little... different for me, but it has definitely grown on me. go Jack and Meg!
    SixStrings
    i got this album yesterday and i think it is there best. song for song better than elephant. and effect and cause is my favorite white stripe song at the moment! i can not get it out of my head!
    jane_says
    DirtyFryBassGuy : you know what i don't get? i don't get why people go and write bad comments about albums and stuff by a certain band. . . what's the point? if you don't like them, ignore them. i absolutely HATE tool, but i don't go and write "TOOL SUCKS!" on all of their news and reviews and such. i agree with that people dont need to go to forums and say the bands suck, but tool? if u dont like tool or the white stripes, ur just a deprived human being
    ihaterap69
    when the hell did jack white learn to play guitar well?? this album is such a departure from what I"ve heard from them, it's really good.
    Glen'sHeroicAct
    definitely an amazing album. although you can't possibly judge it correctly on the first, or even second or third listens. it takes a few listens to really absorb it, and grab hold of the songs. most of the songs at first listen i thought were weird, and i actually didn't like the album. now on my third day of listening to it, i just can't stop listening. it's a great album. i definitely love what Jack does. especially when he stretches the blues and does something new with it, like in catch hell blues and rag and bone. i found it hard adjusting to the slide solos in catch hell blues because there were no chords behind it, like a live show. but now that i've adjusted, they're really good parts, and they'd be amazing with chords behind them, but that's not up to me, so i have to just enjoy them the way they are.
    Shakalum
    that weird sound on icky thump is one of jack white's new favorite toys; it's one the first guitar synths of all time, and you can only play one note at a time.
    Pittman
    Im going to marry this album...it beats White Blood Cells,which is now the second best IMO.