Icky Thump review by The White Stripes

• Released: Jun 19, 2007
The White Stripes: Icky Thump

The White Stripes have now done it. They have touched upon every single music influence and they have done it on one CD. Jack White's guitar work once again was better than anyone anticipated and this time around everyone was expecting a lot. Meg White's primal guitar phrases are simply astounding. She may not be the flashiest but her basic rhythm is amazing. The way the Stripes put this album together they should get several awards.

Jack White Doesn't have the best of all voices but his falsetto skills are great. His voice is a perfect counter to his low guitar. The Lyrics all sound as if they should be in a Silverstein book of Poems. All of the songs have strong meaning and were written with passion. Only someone who loves what he is doing can do his Job so well. Meg White's soft simple voice is just awesome to hear. To get her out from behind the drums and out there singing is wonderful.

This album as great as it is isn't as good as either White Blood Cells or Elephant. Icky thump is the high point on the album. Also Conquest, Catch Hell Blues and Martyr are amazing. I love the White Stripes and what they do. If you are a fan of Indie music or anything obscure you will enjoy this album. There is not much to hate on this album. Also if you are an aspiring guitarist I recommend picking up this album to hear Jack White who is one of the best in the business today and ever. If I lost this album I would buy it again as soon as I had the money.

DirtyFryBassGuy
    jane_says : i agree with that people dont need to go to forums and say the bands suck, but tool? if u dont like tool or the white stripes, ur just a deprived human being
    o i love the white stripes. definitely my favorite band of all time. i just am not so fond of tool. sorry.
    sum1udunno
    ihaterap69 wrote: when the hell did jack white learn to play guitar well?? this album is such a departure from what I"ve heard from them, it's really good.
    jack's always played good. its just that GBMS wasn't as guitar based as icky thump or their older stuff.
    gibsonplaya247
    This album is gutsy and daring but comes out amazing. having "Icky Thump" being the single off the album only begins to show the listener that this album is odd, in a good way. I am Irish so "Prickly Thorn, But Sweetly Worn" hits home in all the Scottish/Irish folksongs ive heard throughout the years. My favorite song on this album, although it is hard to choose has to be "Rag and Bone"
    oklahoma pie
    additional generic comment about the album/white stripes (but seriously, this is a great album)