The White Stripes review by The White Stripes

• Released: Jun 15, 1999
The White Stripes: The White Stripes

Wow, their first (and self-titled) album, and probably my favorite. It's raw garage rock blues. I'ts just wonderful. The album was produced fully without using computers, and was done all on their own recording label before they got a bigger one. Indy rock at its best. Jack's elaborant, yet somehow simple guitar playing and Meg's rudimentary drums compliment the sound very much.

The lyrics make no sense at all. Though some have a story, for example: The Big Three Killed My Baby is about how a big company took over a local detroit autoshop. Though they in some cases make no sense, somehow jack pulls them off. They are wonderful, and his voice. There is jsut something about the sound of his voice, it sounds like he is going through puberty, but hes a full-grown 28 year old man.

Like I said, my favorite out of all their other albums. I love the style of the album, its just so RAW. It's very simplistic, its very bare, but they make it seem full somehow. It's an irreplacable album in my collection, I don't know what I would do without it. (That may be an exaggeration, but it is good.) If you liked their other albums, you iwll almost certainly love this one. Hell, even if you didn't like the other album, I highly recommend this one. The best songs off the album, that emulate the feel of the album, would be "When I Hear My Name" "Do" "Jimmy The Exploder" and a cover of Bob Dylan's "One More Cup of Coffee" and "I Fought Pirhanas" with a guest appearance from Johnny Walker. Go but it!