The White Stripes review by The White Stripes

• Released: Jun 15, 1999
The White Stripes: The White Stripes

This was the first album by The White Stripes, and you can tell. Even though the sound quality is low, it completely fits their style. I like this cd more than White Blood Cells and Elephant, actually, because it's just so raw. Jack White's guitar is good yet he doesn't show off with it. (What I mean is, the solos actually have meaning and feeling to them, instead of 2000 bpm tapping solos).

The lyrics in the songs actually make no sense, but Jack White makes them make sense with the way he sings it. You can actually hear the feeling in his voice, and that alone is enough to tell the story for you. I especially like the lyrics for "one More Cup Of Coffee," and "Broken Bricks." Viewing the lyrics on Paper, they are completely pointless. But in a song, Jack White uses his bluesy rock guitar to describe the feel of the lyrics.

This cd doesn't compare to todays mainstream cd's, because the way they recorded this is completely different than normal bands. It was recorded in a small-time detroit studio, which completely adds a different feel to what youre listening to. Some of my favorite songs from the album are "Astro," "I Fought Pirhanas," "When I Hear My Name" and "The Big 3." If I lost this cd, I would first break down in tears, then buy another one. This cd really doesnt compare to anything else I've listened to.