Under Blackpool Lights [DVD] review by The White Stripes

• Released: Dec 7, 2004
  • Content: 8
  • Production Quality: 6
The White Stripes: Under Blackpool Lights [DVD]

The sound on the DVD, Under Blackpool Lights, greatly expresses the patented sound of The White Stripes. If you like the raw sound of the self titled album, Jack White's chrome slide in De Stijl (the style), Megs crashing cymbals in White Blood Cells, and the blues of Elephant, you'll love The White Stripes Under Blackpool Lights. Jack's love of the blues influenced the use of the slide on songs such as Son House's "Death Letter," but Jack has made these songs his own adding a crunch filled with feedback like no other. His cheap, plastic Airline guitar and Sears Silvertone amp only add to the great White Stripes sound in Under Blackpool Lights.

Content — 8
The White Stripes' Under Blackpool Lights contains a live show shot over two nights in Blackpootl in January of 2004. It also contains a set list for quick movement between songs along with sound options. The only disappointment was the fact that the DVD contained no behind-the-scenes tour footage, no interviews with the band, and none of the music videos to date. The set list consists of 26 songs containing a variety of songs from each of the 4 albums (not including the Stripes' latest album "Get Behind Me Satan" which was released after the filming of this concert) as well as some B-Side songs not on the albums. The hits are there as well as other songs which end up going off into solos amid Jack's guitar and Meg's drums.

Production Quality — 6
The picture quatlity on The White Stripes' Under Blackpool Lights was definently not the best I have ever seen. But Jack White's distaste with modern technology would explain why the film was not shot with up-to-date equipment. Jack commented on the message on the White Stripes official website that there are many little secrets hidden on the DVD. The White Stripes official colors Red, White, and Black appear so frequently on the DVD that you might have trouble seeing other colors for a while.

I definently am infatuated with The White Stripes' Under Blackpool Lights. The fact that only two people can be onstage, playing their songs in such a broken down and simple way, and it still sounds great amazes me. Seeing the songs I know so well being played differently at the will of the one who wrote is unbelievable! I also enjoy looking for the secrets hidden in the DVD. If I was ever for any reason without The White Stripes' Under Blackpool Lights, I wouldn't hesitate to rebuy it. Thank you Jack and Meg!