Under Blackpool Lights [DVD] review by The White Stripes

• Released: Dec 7, 2004
  • Content: 9
  • Production Quality: 10
The White Stripes: Under Blackpool Lights [DVD]

The guitar in this DVD was authentic and more live sound than the albums (though the albums do seem more live than most other bands). The vocals were mediocre. It was little different from the albums, but had a definite style. For me, the vocals were fantastic, but for others that might not like the White Stripes, they weren't as good as on the album. Overall, the live feel is more than I had ever expected. The solos in the music were authentic and un rehearsed. The drums are not so good. Meg does not exactly drum on beat at times, especially when there is no guitar in the song. The reason why they chose blackpool to record is: 1. The White Stripes love the UK and 2. they love the hystory of all the artists that had played there.

Content — 9
This live concert is not full of features. When you put it in, it plays. There is a menu, but you have to re-directs your DVD player to get there. I believe there is some sort of feature, but nothing important enough to remember. The stage in is fit to the size of the band, but the costomization is not as elaborate as on their most recent tour for their album "Get Behind Me Satan." The camera style is great, so it makes up for not so good decorations on stage. There are no "hidden tracks," but there are a few songs that have not been previously put on record. Overall, I'm very impressed with what is on the DVD, regardless of special features. It's simple and to the point.

Production Quality — 10
The live sound and different camera styles make this an enjoyable performance to watch. There are several camera views that change when jack does a solo or goes to sing at the microphone next to Meg's drums.

For me as a fan of the White Stripes, it was great. I've watched it about ten times now and as soon as Jack cracks into a solo, it makes me want to play guitar the way he does. Everything about the video and audio is perfect and true to the White Stripe's style. I really couldn't want any more than what's already on the album. It has just as much worth to me as each of their albums.