Under Blackpool Lights [DVD] Review

artist: The White Stripes date: 01/15/2009 category: compact discs
The White Stripes: Under Blackpool Lights [DVD]
Released: December 7, 2004
Recorded in Blackpool, England's Empress Ballroom in January 2004 with 8mm cameras, the White Stripes' Under Blackpool Lights comes dang close to capturing the feel of their live show. The disc contains no extras to speak of, just wall-to-wall rock, but true disciples of the Stripes won't leave disappointed.
 Content: 8.4
 Production Quality: 8.4
 9.2
 8.8
 9.5
Under Blackpool Lights [DVD] Reviewed by: Peterjs, on october 28, 2005

Sound: The guitar in this DVD was authentic and more live sound than the albums (though the albums do seem more live than most other bands). The vocals were mediocre. It was little different from the albums, but had a definite style. For me, the vocals were fantastic, but for others that might not like the White Stripes, they weren't as good as on the album. Overall, the live feel is more than I had ever expected. The solos in the music were authentic and un rehearsed. The drums are not so good. Meg does not exactly drum on beat at times, especially when there is no guitar in the song. The reason why they chose blackpool to record is: 1. The White Stripes love the UK and 2. they love the hystory of all the artists that had played there. // 9

Overall Impression: For me as a fan of the White Stripes, it was great. I've watched it about ten times now and as soon as Jack cracks into a solo, it makes me want to play guitar the way he does. Everything about the video and audio is perfect and true to the White Stripe's style. I really couldn't want any more than what's already on the album. It has just as much worth to me as each of their albums. // 10

Under Blackpool Lights [DVD] Reviewed by: AC_friggin'_DC, on january 28, 2005

Sound: If you've heard the stripes before it sounds just like the unique sound only Jack and Meg can create. Jack's guitar is really good and some of the solos he does are very original. It has a unique sound like all White Stripes things even though it is unique ut sounds very good. // 10

Overall Impression: Overall I think it is very good. It is one of my favorite DVD concerts. If it were lost or stolen, first I'd beat the crap of whoever stole it, or go buy it again. // 10

Under Blackpool Lights [DVD] Reviewed by: feesk8ordie, on february 11, 2005

Sound: The sound is brilliant, probably heavier than on the studio albums, but I think it works to goos effect. The drums are clear as are the guitars and vocals. However in some (very brief and occassional) parts, the sound seems the deteriate slightly. // 8

Overall Impression: Overall I'd recommend any fans of the White Stripes to buy this. I got mine cheap but I would've paid twice the price. 26 tracks of the Stripes in their best form? I'd definitley reccomend it. // 10

Under Blackpool Lights [DVD] Reviewed by: 3l3phant, on may 23, 2005

Sound: Jack is not that impressive with his singing voice on Blackpool Lights. Actually, it's really very bad at some points. But that has always been the style of the White Stripes, so while this may annoy the casual fan, true fans may not be that bothered by it. Sadly, however, Jack's usuall onstage banter is not present during this show. The guitar is really the glowing point of this DVD. Jack extends his guitar solos and uses much improvisation on some songs (Death Letter, Ball and Biscuit), rarely disappointing. Jack's use of distortion, fingerpicking, and a slide add flavor to the show as well. Not much to say about the drumming, Meg's typical tom-tom, snare, ride, and crash stlye. Overall the sound was captured very well for the movie. // 10

Overall Impression: If you're a fan and haven't seen or heard them live yet, buy this movie. If you're a fan and have seen or heard them live, still but this movie. A great add to any White Stripes collection. // 10

Under Blackpool Lights [DVD] Reviewed by: unregistered, on june 28, 2005

Sound: The sound on the DVD, Under Blackpool Lights, greatly expresses the patented sound of The White Stripes. If you like the raw sound of the self titled album, Jack White's chrome slide in De Stijl (the style), Megs crashing cymbals in White Blood Cells, and the blues of Elephant, you'll love The White Stripes Under Blackpool Lights. Jack's love of the blues influenced the use of the slide on songs such as Son House's "Death Letter," but Jack has made these songs his own adding a crunch filled with feedback like no other. His cheap, plastic Airline guitar and Sears Silvertone amp only add to the great White Stripes sound in Under Blackpool Lights. // 10

Overall Impression: I definently am infatuated with The White Stripes' Under Blackpool Lights. The fact that only two people can be onstage, playing their songs in such a broken down and simple way, and it still sounds great amazes me. Seeing the songs I know so well being played differently at the will of the one who wrote is unbelievable! I also enjoy looking for the secrets hidden in the DVD. If I was ever for any reason without The White Stripes' Under Blackpool Lights, I wouldn't hesitate to rebuy it. Thank you Jack and Meg! // 10

Under Blackpool Lights [DVD] Reviewed by: unregistered, on january 05, 2006

Sound: The sound was alright for the atmosphere of the ballroom but some of it was a bit distorted. Most parts of songs were cut short to allow for sudden moves into another songs. The sound directing ie the balance of the drums to the guitar, was done fantastically well as the definite level of guitar sound was well mixed in to the drum beat. There were changes made from the album, ie a different solo for Ball And Biscuit, and a new verse added into De Ballit Of De Boll Weevil. // 9

Overall Impression: Because I'm a White Stripes fan, I like it, but it probably would have been more spectacular if I had been there. Sound quality and picture quality might have been better then but great really. // 9

Under Blackpool Lights [DVD] Reviewed by: LiamPower, on november 27, 2006

Sound: The DVD gives a real insight into the band's power. Meg White's constant drumming keeps the train of Jack White's driving guitar riffs and interesting vocals chugging along, For anyone who doubts the energy of the White Stripes live performance. Sit down, chuck this DVD on and get ready to play air guitar. The DVD documents a live performance made in 2004 by The White Stripes. The trademark Red, Black and White colour scheme is maintained in the lighting, instruments and clothes of the two band members. In the DVD Jack White uses a Whammy pedal for soloing, which gives it an interesting pitch. What I brought away from this DVD was the incredible force behind the live preformance, and the amount of energy that both the members put into their Live Performances. // 7

Overall Impression: With a total of twenty-six tracks, this DVD is a great buy for any Stripes fan, especially if you want to get a feel for what they are like live. You will find yourself getting up adn dancing around the room at points, and make sure you turn it up loud to really appreciate the power behind the music. // 6

Under Blackpool Lights [DVD] Reviewed by: megadeth45, on january 15, 2009

Sound: Well first off, let me just say it's the White Stripes and even though Meg can't keep time for crap Jack completely makes up for it. The White Stripes are defintely amongst my all time favorite bands since I saw this DVD and will stay there until I hear a song by them that is completely terrible. There is no real story attached to it it was just a live concert that was recorded. As White Stripes have always done they use a variety of cover songs on this DVD there are actualy 8 cover songs out of the 20 something tracks. And to my suprise I always thought that Jack White would use a bass player and keyboard player when playing live but he just uses a sub-octave pedal so he can play bass and guitar at the same time and progams most of the keyboard stuff and plays half of it. And in my opinion they are 10x better live than on the recordings. // 10

Overall Impression: The only thing I can think of that even compares to this is Iron Maiden: Rock In Rio, that might just be me because I'm a big Maiden fan. The most impressive thing on this album is definetly Jack's slide guitar on Ballad of the Boll Weevil, he basically rapes that guitar because it will never be the same after that also he practically breaks his hand tryinging to reach the 24th fret on his acoustic to play it. I would totally re-buy this DVD if I lost it. // 9

Comments