Walking With A Ghost review by The White Stripes

• Released: Dec 6, 2005
The White Stripes: Walking With A Ghost

I'm not sure why Jack and Meg thought that this needed to be done, but I'm sure glad they did. The Walking With A Ghost EP turns out to be quite a little gem for White Stripes fans, except that's about where it stops, as White Stripes haters will have more reasons why they should hate them to chew on. In either case, with the song in question, they stay pretty true to the original from Tegan and Sarah, just basically switching to that White Stripes tone that everyone knows and loves. The nice surprise comes in the live takes. Same Boy You've Always Known and As Ugly As I Seem are really well done, it's hard to tell if they're even live tracks or not. The Denial Twist, kinda seems like the add-on just cause it's their new single, is still really nice and captures that energy that the White Stripes do so well live. Screwdriver's the same, except with Passive Manipulation from Get Behing Me Satan jammed in the middle for good measure, a really good pace change to flip tracks mid song and come back. I've always loved the sound and the energy the White Stripes produce and this EP does a good job capturing it, and Walking With A Ghost ain't bad either.

You already know what to expect. They didn't change anything from Walking With A Ghost or their live takes. If you're not a White Stripes fan and don't know what to expect, well you probably won't want to listen to this in the first place, but if you care to see the light, expect some of the smartest lyrics ever. Jack has a gift for writing lyrics, wether they be very serious and literal or sound like an 8 year olds poem, he can twist them to go with whatever he's playing and kick your ass with it.

I'm usually not sold on EP's unless they really got something to offer, and this one does. Definetly a good idea to do this rather then sell the tracks off to iTunes or stretch out past what it's worth with more tracks or a full blown album. The only thing I could complain about is that even though the Walking With A Ghost track is well done, Jack and Meg can't quite manage to pull off a Johnny Cash, where they really own the song and keep it for their own. After that it's really cool to hear some live takes from the get Behind Me Satan album that aren't obviously on their DVD. Overall, it's definetly really well done and worth 19 minutes of your time on a regular bases.