White Blood Cells review by The White Stripes

• Released: Jan 29, 2002
The White Stripes: White Blood Cells

Just like anything else that's White Stripes related, you know that this one is another epic addition to the rest. Even though this album rids away with the blues influence, you'll definitely get hooked. Starting with a nice garage-rock-y song like, "Dead Leaves And The Dirty Ground", the album keeps going and going with the simplistic, straight-forward approach that The White Stripes are known for. The guitar work in this album is pretty amazing, Jack Whit doesn't let up in the slightest. There's nothing I can say about Meg, I've never had a problem with her drumming style or her part in the band, I think she's the best drummer that the band could ever have.

I enjoy the lyrics in the songs on this album. There's obvious punk influence when it comes to the lyrics. For instance, the repetition of single lines of lyrics over the course of a whole song and in some cases, there only being a couple lines of lyrics per song. That doesn't mean that the song has useless, filler lyrics but that the approach to the lyrics are that of punk. I find myself singing to the songs and yelling when Jack yells. They're contagious and I love it!

Even though one of the influences that were around in the beginning is absent, the album still comes together perfectly as a "White Stripes" album. I think the most impressive songs on the record are, "Dead Leaves And The Dirty Ground", "Offend In Every Way", and "We're Gonna Be Friends". My favorites on the record though are, "Offend In Every Way", "The Union Forever", and "This Protector". Although I survived just fine before I had this album (or any White Stripes album), I'm finding it hard now to exist without the albums.

Mahk35
    I couldn't help but notice that you started naming off songs from 'Elephant'. We're talking 'White Blood Cells' here. Even though 'Elephant' is pretty wicked.