A Quick One (Happy Jack) review by The Who

The Who: A Quick One (Happy Jack)

The Sound varies on this album and that's what I think makes it so god damn good. From Keith's mad snare bashing, to bashing on old cardboard boxes for the track 'See My Way'. John's almost crunchy bass sound appears on this album in many tracks and most predominately on his first composition for the band, 'Boris The Spider'. With John's doubled tracked vocals it is the taste of what's to come on following albums featuring John's songs. 'Cobwebs And Strange', written by Keith, is an instrumental masterpiece with every instrument (apart from Roger's voice) being shown off to the players upmost capability. As well as their own material, the covers they do are also amazing. 'Barbara Ann', most famously recorded by the 'Beach Boys' is a real reminiscent track that only adds to the albums unique and ground breaking sound. Although it's not The Who's best sounding compilation, it still is bloody good.

The lyrics are really reminiscent of the 'My Generation' album. With mostly inobvious love songs it shows The Who as a bands' sensitive side. 'I Need You', a story about a man who admits his need for his absent love, was actually written by Keith. This just shows how much thought went into the writting of this album.

My overall impression is that this album is great. Not as good as 'Who's Next' but then again, what is. It shows diversity at it's greatest. I just love The Who's original tone and feeling that they bring to everyone of the songs on this album. The best 6 at HMV I've ever spent!