Live At The Isle Of Wight [DVD] review by The Who

• Released: Aug 10, 2004
  • Content: 10
  • Production Quality: 10

The Who kicks off one of the most memorable concerts ever with Heaven And Hell which is a great way to start off the show. The music is great after Townshend himself went in and remixed the entire concert at Eel Pie shortly before he released it. There are one or two instances where Pete remixed it so when he's playing a chord low on the neck the music is soloing or vise versa, but its no biggy. You forget all about it because its only on the first and second song, I do beleive (at least thats all thats noticeable).

Content — 10
The first song is "Heaven And Hell" which is very Who-like but a different way to start the concert because John sings it. Uptempo and a long solo introduces that attitude and intensity they have all the way through the concert. The second song, "I Can't Explain," a great Who song, sounds great (even with Keith singing in the background). They then play the song "Young Man Blues" which was written by Pete's hero Mose Allison, a lenghty blues tune with a jolting riff throughout the song. Then there is "I Don't Even Know Myself" which they played on stage before Who's Next came out, a good song with a seemingly random country and western campfire middle section in which Keith plays a wooden block in his usual 'Keith-like' way. That goes into another song from Who's Next called "Water." Not a very powerful song but it fits in well. That leads into the "Shakin' All Over/Spoonful/Twist and Shout" collouge of songs which sounds like a jumbled but organized mess that rises up into "Summertime Blues", another song not written by The Who but rather Eddie Cochrane. Then "My Generation" and a variation of "Magic Bus". Then, of course, they play Tommy... well, some of Tommy anyway. For some reason, probably video quality, the full Tommy set is on the CD but not the DVD. The only Tommy songs are "Overture," "It's a Boy," (skips "1921," the whole basis of Tommy, and "Amazing Journey," arguably the best song on the album) "Eyesight to the Blind," "Christmas," "The Acid Queen," (no "Underture," for good reason) "Pinball Wizard," "Do you think it's alright?" "Fiddle About," "Go to the Mirror," (no "Smash the Mirror" or "Sensation") "Miracle Cure," (no "Sally Simpson") "I'm Free" (no "Welcome, which is more or less a good thing, and no "Tommy's Holiday Camp") then it concludes with the great song "We're not Going to Take It," played in it's entirety. However chopped it may be, and as difficult as it is to follow the story, the music still sounds great and its not really about the story but more the music. Some bonus stuff is the interview with Pete about mixing the album and about the Who itself, and a "Tommy Can you Hear Me?" outro with Keith wearing a clowns mask with an axe on top acting like Keith usually does.

Production Quality — 10
The visual isn't stunning, no more than you'd expect in 1970, but the remixed audio is stunning. The sound is great especially on surround sound or a TV with loud speakers!

I think it's a must have because of the rare Who full set videos. Some are out there, but Live at the Isle of Wight is definatley a must have for any Who fan or music fan alike. Highly, highly recommend running out and buying this DVD.

gibsonplyr202
    the Who is my favorite band and this is definetly on of their best concerts. RIP Keith Moon