Live At The Isle Of Wight [DVD] review by The Who

• Released: Aug 10, 2004
  • Content: 8
  • Production Quality: 9

The Who's Live At The Isle Of Wight concert was easily one of their best. With a setlist including My Generation, I Can't Explain, Magic Bus, and all of Tommy, it had potential to be the best performance they would ever give. This DVD shows that it was. The sound was very good, with each instrument balanced out perfectly. Pete's solos, Keith's crazy fills, the Ox's sweet bass lines, and Roger's intense vocals all sounded the way they were meant to sound. You can tell that they put a lot of effort into the sound quality of this DVD and it came out very well.

Content — 8
The set list for this concert was great. Becuase it took place in 1970, thier discography wasn't complete, so obviously there aren't any songs from Who's Next, Quadrophenia, or other later albums. Even without material from those albums this is still an amazing set list that would please any fan. The special features are really the only thing that are lacking. The only special feature is an interview with Pete Townshend. It's a good interview, but I was expecting more special features from such a special concert like this.

Production Quality — 9
The production was very good. The only complaint that I have is that the camera angles aren't as good as they can be. It seems that most of the shots are from the left of the stage, which only allows you to see the back of Pete, most of Roger, some of Keith, and pretty much no view of John. There are other angles that it gives, but this angles seems to be the most common. There aren't many camera tricks or anything like that. The only one is when the camera zooms in and out to the beat of the music, which gives the video a nice '60s or '70s feeling.

Overall, this was a nearly perfect DVD. The only bad thing was the lack of special features. Despite that, I recommend buying it if you're in to the Who. It's a great item to have as it was a very memorable concert for them. Most other Who DVDs I see don't have the original line-up, and it's nice to see the original band performing during thier best years.