Quadrophenia review by The Who

• Released: Jan 1, 1973
The Who: Quadrophenia

Many people consider this a peaking point for The Who and I'm not going to argue that. This is a very ambitious album, using synthesizers and sound effects quite often throughout, though not to the point where it sounds cluttered. The real treat though is hearing the interplay within the band, which is in peak form. John (bass) and Keith (drums) combine to create on of the most unique rhythm sections of all time and Pete has some great lead guitar playing which is very uncharacteristic of his style, but is still very good.

This is a concept album about Jimmy, a mod who tries to discover himself, but fails to do so until he drowns himself in the sea. The songwriting here is top notch with Ptet Townshend's lyrics perfectly capturing the angst and frustration that not only Jimmy, but many other teens are feeling.

This is a great album, though I wouldn't suggest it as a first Who album (Who's Next or Tommy would take that honor) because it is a very complex work and it is an album that will take a little time for you to get into. But if you're a Who fan who knows more then just the hits, you should seriously consider buying this album. You won't regret it.

bassplayer496
    I think this album's a million times better than Tommy, it's much more musically advanced, and being a bass player, this has some of the best bass work of any song ever written. Love reign o'er me is an AMAZING song. I've never been a huge fan of Tommy, and the stories about a boy who has a split personality, four, which you can guess by the title. ~Love, Dallas~
    sbauer187
    I think the storyline behind Tommy is what draws so many people to it. This album is much better musically which is why i like it so much more than Tommy. The bass playing cannot be matched.
    the_walrus67
    I love this album, but I don't fully understand the story I know its about teenage angst or something. Wicked album Long live The Who!