The Kids Are Alright review by The Who

• Released: Jan 1, 1966
  • Users' score: 10 (1 vote)
The Who: The Kids Are Alright

The Who's music, is the type of music is sometimes soft and meaningful, other times it can make people so amped, and makes them want to shout "Yeah!" at the top of their lungs. This album shows the Who at their best. The album is electrifying and awesome, even though there are a few missing classics. All the members show the best of their abilities, with the vocals of Roger Daltry, the laws of physics-defying drum playing of Keith Moon, with some humorous moments also, the amazing speed of John Entwistle's Bass playing, and the pure genius of Pete Townshend's songwriting (he wrote almost every song by himself on this DVD).

The lyrics of Pete Townshend aren't Bob Dylan good, but are still good. I think that there is far more to an album than lyrics though. The album is mostly live. There are a few songs I would have liked to see, like "Bargain", "Going Mobile", or "Behind Blue Eyes". "Won't Get Fooled Again" is one of the best concert performaces I have ever heard in my life, with amazing solos, lasers, and the incredibly hyper playing of Pete Townshend. "Baba O'Riley" is also good with a harmonica solo from Roger Daltry. The first performance of "My Generation" from the Smothers Brothers Show is very entertaining. This album, like the film, gets the point across: The Who knows how to play music. "Pinball Wizard" at Woodstock is also a good performance. Although I'm not a fan of all the songs on the album, The Who never plays a song weakly. All performances are strong and electrifying. The album also has "Young Man Blues", a song that tackles Led Zeppelin's "Black Dog" style, with singing, then music, then singing. I must admit that I think that "Young Man Blues" is even better than Zeppelin's "Black Dog".

This is the best live album I have seen from The Who, and like most albums, it has its cons, but I don't regret buying it at all. All songs are done with the Who showing no laziness. It gets people so amped. The music took alot of skill to make, and The Who are probably the best band to see in live concert, so just the audio is still good, so I highly recommend this album. The only thing better is "The Kids Are Alright" DVD.

Big Tommy P
    i disagree with Townshend lacking in lyrical capibility, true, Bob Dylan is better, but i would rank Townshend straight after Dylan, with Roger Waters following. after all, who came up with the ideas and wrote Tommy and Quadrophenia? although i havem't heard this version of Baba O'Riley, i do have it on the Tommy / Quadrophenia Live DVD and Daltrey does a good job on the harmonica