The Who By Numbers review by The Who

• Released: Jan 1, 1975
The Who: The Who By Numbers

In comparison to most other Who albums, "The Who By Numbers" is a far cry from their rock anthems of years past. There is less of an emphasis on fullness of sound in comparison to their previous album "Quadrophenia," and it also reflects the vulnerability of Pete Townshend through songs such as "However Much I Booze", "They Are All In Love", and "How Many Friends". All in all, there are some beautiful songs like "Blue, Red, And Grey", "Imagine A Man", and the hit single "Squeeze Box", but it lacks the energy fans of The Who have come to love.

The overall message of Pete's words are those of a man with doubt about himself such as "How Many Friends" and "They Are All In Love" and unsatisfactory ways of healing through "However Much I Booze" and "Dreaming From The Waist" The music fits the lyrics and therefore, giving the vibe of a man depressed rather than angry.

As an album on it's own, it would not catapult The Who into mainstream success, but it is an enjoyable album. Those Who fans who are looking for rock anthems such as "Won't Get Fooled Again" will be disappointed, but for those who dig the entire "Who's Next" album for songs like "Song Is Over", "Getting In Tune", and "Goin' Mobile" will appreciate "The Who By Numbers" for what it's worth. All in all, it is worth checking out.

metallicaPOOS
    shibby album! i think the best part on the album all together would be the cover lol. its sweet, but all their albums have their name in the title: whos next, who are you, who by #'s. Not saying its a bad thing, i mean its pretty sweet.
    stratman13
    Cobalt Blue
    stratman13 wrote: I think that this is their most underrated album. "Success Story" is John Entwhistle's songwriting at its best.
    agree'd success story kicks ass... I wish I could find Johns solo albums though
    the_walrus67
    There is a documentary about Entwistle out in stores I think its called "An Ox's Tale". By the way "metallicaPOOS" not all The Who albums have their name in them: Tommy, My Generation, Quadrophenia, A Quick One, The new album; Endless Wire. you see my point