Then And Now: 1964-2004 review by The Who

• Released: Mar 30, 2004
The Who: Then And Now: 1964-2004

You can really see the progress and the change of rogers voice and petes guitar. From "I Can't Explain" all the way to their newly produced "Old Red Wine", you can get a good view on how the voice and guitar has gone from a more pop aimed style, to a hard rock, scream your lungs out style. The first 5 songs sound a bit scratchy at times, but the rest of the 15 tracks have a real nice finish to them, working well with the evolution of The Who throughout the years.

Overall, the lyrics are excellent. Then and now outlines the best lyrics of Pete Townshend, especially "Won't Get Fooled Again." His lyrics were instant hits, because they really related to the teenagers they were aimed for. They speak of rebelion, new, strange things, depression, parties, and love. And to top it all off, the lyrics fit perfectly with the music. I mean, can you imangine "Happy Jack's" lyrics in "Who Are You's" music? And the singing of Townshend's lyrics by roger? Also classic. His range is awesome, combining softer, emotional tones, like in "See Me, Feel Me," or the intro to "Behind Blue Eyes" either great transition to the pure lung power in "Won't Get Fooled Again", and "Who Are You."

The truth is, they dont compare. Led Zeppelin maybe, but thats about it. Personally, my favorites are "My Generation," "5:15," and "Won't Get Fooled Again," 'cause they really tell a lot about what the group might have been going through at that point in time. Well, as far as the love/hate thing, I love more than hate. In fact, I don't hate anything about it! The only thing is that "The Kids Are Alright," "Substitute," and "I'm a Boy" might just be a little to poppy for my taste, personally. But who cares! At least it got all my favorites. And if I were stupid enough to this out my sight, and lose it, I would by it again. So, if you're convinced, go out and buy it! It's truly an awesome album, by an awesome band. Enjoy!

Isogrifo
    actually, summertime blues live came out on the live at leeds disc and in the 30 years of maximum R&B box set. although, if I recall correctly, this particular version was from woodstock, the others were from leeds university, althougth they sound exactly the same.