Then And Now: 1964-2004 Review

The Who: Then And Now: 1964-2004
Released: Mar 30, 2004
Genre: Rock
Styles: Rock & Roll, Hard Rock, British Invasion, Pop/Rock, Mod, Album Rock
This is not classic Who, it is the most interesting music either Townshend or Daltrey has made in nearly 20 years.
 9.7
 9.3
reviews (3) 1 comment vote for this album:
Then And Now: 1964-2004 Reviewed by: Brandon860, on july 30, 2004

Lyrics: You can tell as the years change throughout the cd, as the old choppy equipement is replaced with the new and improved for better sound quality. Some songs are crystal clear and others bearly recognizable. // 8

Overall Impression: This album contains most of the Who's greatest hits, such as: My Generation, Behind Blue Eyes, and Who Are You? However, it doesn't include such greats as "Babba O'Reiley" and "The Seeker", but it makes up for them in a special live version of "Summertime Blues", a song never seen on any Who album. This CD is a must buy for any Who fan and lover alike. This disc also includes two new songs form the Who, "Real Good Looking Boy" and "Old Red Wine" which they recorded in 2004. // 10

Then And Now: 1964-2004 Reviewed by: me_and_my_esp, on january 13, 2005

Sound: You can really see the progress and the change of rogers voice and petes guitar. From "I Can't Explain" all the way to their newly produced "Old Red Wine", you can get a good view on how the voice and guitar has gone from a more pop aimed style, to a hard rock, scream your lungs out style. The first 5 songs sound a bit scratchy at times, but the rest of the 15 tracks have a real nice finish to them, working well with the evolution of The Who throughout the years. // 8

Lyrics: Overall, the lyrics are excellent. Then and now outlines the best lyrics of Pete Townshend, especially "Won't Get Fooled Again." His lyrics were instant hits, because they really related to the teenagers they were aimed for. They speak of rebelion, new, strange things, depression, parties, and love. And to top it all off, the lyrics fit perfectly with the music. I mean, can you imangine "Happy Jack's" lyrics in "Who Are You's" music? And the singing of Townshend's lyrics by roger? Also classic. His range is awesome, combining softer, emotional tones, like in "See Me, Feel Me," or the intro to "Behind Blue Eyes" either great transition to the pure lung power in "Won't Get Fooled Again", and "Who Are You." // 10

Overall Impression: The truth is, they dont compare. Led Zeppelin maybe, but thats about it. Personally, my favorites are "My Generation," "5:15," and "Won't Get Fooled Again," 'cause they really tell a lot about what the group might have been going through at that point in time. Well, as far as the love/hate thing, I love more than hate. In fact, I don't hate anything about it! The only thing is that "The Kids Are Alright," "Substitute," and "I'm a Boy" might just be a little to poppy for my taste, personally. But who cares! At least it got all my favorites. And if I were stupid enough to this out my sight, and lose it, I would by it again. So, if you're convinced, go out and buy it! It's truly an awesome album, by an awesome band. Enjoy! // 10

Then And Now: 1964-2004 Reviewed by: petetownshend61, on april 14, 2007

Sound: Now you may think heck, it's a greatest hits album so it must be good. Right, wrong this album is more than just a greatest hits album it's a biography of what Rock and Roll really is. The Who forged new frontieers in Rock and Roll from rock operas to the windmill, The Who have done it all. This album has there best work which includes Pinball Wizard and Won't Get Fooled Again. The rythem section in this album (Drums: Keith Moon Bass: John Entwhistle) is amazing as in My Generation and Won't Get Fooled Again. Daltrey shows amazing vocal power in Love, Reign O'er Me and Townshend does his greatest guitar work in Summer Time Blues [Live] and Won't Get Fooled Again. If you looked up Rock and Roll in the dictionary you'd find this album. This is straight out rock. // 10

Lyrics: Lyrics are concidered most important by many. Townshend's lyrics are outstanding but what would his lyrics be without Daltreys emotion and vocal strength. Love Reign O'er Me as a mentioned is the greatest vocal performance by almost any artist. Townshend's lyrics just went hand in hand with Daltrey's singing. Even the last two songs released for promotion of Endless Wire had great lyrics. The only song with weak lyrics was Squeeze Box were Townshend got a bit lazy. // 9

Overall Impression: This album goes up there with other greatest hits including Led Zeppelin, Queen and The Rolling Stones. The greatest song from this album is Won't Get Fooled Again. With Moon and Entwhislte's impressive rythem and Townshend's power chourds, but who can forget about Daltrey's impressive vocal performance including the scream that may have changed rock and roll forever. Of all the albums I have this is probably the greatest one I will listen to it over and over again until I go deaf. Overall this is a modern day masterpiece. // 10

Comments