Tommy review by The Who

• Released: Jan 1, 1969
The Who: Tommy

This album is the first "rock opera" written by Pete Townshend, who wanted to write a "musical with a rock and roll feel." Tommy is what he got. This is a masterpiece among rock albums. The sound of this album is much like that of other works by the who, but this album is also a conept album in that it follows the life of a deaf, dumb, and blind boy named Tommy. All the songs are about him, or related to him in some way.

The lyris are probably the best part of this album. While the music is great, the lyrics are why my LP of Tommy is warped. They are interesting, humourous, and make the album flow. Roger Daltry's voice is excellent on this album. Townshend sings a bit too on a few tracks as well as backing vocals. Daltry continues to prove himself as a strong and unique voice in rock and roll.

This album is among my top ten favorites in rock and roll. It gives me a thrill everytime I hear the opening chords of "Pinball Wizard," or the graspy whispy voice of Daltry. If I lost this album I would definitely go to my nearest record store and buy a new one. This album is too great not to have in any collection.

pwrmax
    WhoAreYou22 wrote: Quadrophenia OWNS Tommy. 'Nuff Said.
    Why compare? All of The Who's discography is gold.
    hendrixfanatic
    Eyesight to the blind was originally by Sonny Boy Williamson, not Mose Allison. The Mose Allison song The Who covered was Young man's blues.