Tommy The Movie [DVD] Review

artist: The Who date: 01/12/2012 category: compact discs
The Who: Tommy The Movie [DVD]
Released: 1999 (originally 1975)
 Content: 8
 Production Quality: 7
 8.3
 9.7
review (1) user comments vote for this album:
Tommy The Movie [DVD] Reviewed by: slashermaster, on january 12, 2012

Sound: I know I know, this isn't a concert performance or anything but the music was so pure and everyone just did such a great job musically that I felt I had to let people know about it. Also it's all the songs from the who's famous concept album of the same name played in order by the who themselves as well as some guests so I really think it should be on here. It sounds amazing The Who themselves and all the other people (I'll get to them in a second) just do everything so well my jaw just hit the floor with awe at how everything just clicked together to make a great movie and the songs flow perfectly from one to the next. And everyone's voice is perfect (not surprising with all the other musicians featured in this movie) and should not disappoint even the most stubborn fans of The Who. A classic rock opera made into a movie doesn't sound that great when you think about it but this is just a great movie. However there is one questionable aspect of the movie when Elton John signs the song "Pinball Wizard". I just felt that there were many other songs on the album that were more his style. The other people in this movie are Tina Turner, Eric Clapton, Oliver Reed, Paul Nicholas, Robert Powell, Jack Nicholson, Ann-Margret and of course The Who themselves. // 10

Overall Impression: Although it pales in comparison to the album this movie is great I was blown away at how much emotion Roger Daltry could convey as Tommy. Especially with not being able to say, hear or see anything. The only really big problem I could find was Elton John playing the "Pinball Wizard" (as well as his ridiculous getup that's also sure to stick in the fans' sides like a thorn) I would definitely buy this again. // 8

Comments