Who's Next review by The Who

• Released: Aug 25, 1971
The Who: Who's Next

Who's Next is often considered as one of the top albums ever put out by The Who, or even any band, and for good reason. Most people think its a "best of" album, with such classics like Baba O'Riley, Bargain, Behind Blue Eyes, and Wont Get Fooled Again. This also gave us the first glimpse of The Who playing along synthesizers, and really, the first album that used synth's so much, with them in Baba O'Riley, Song Is Over, and Won't Get Fooled Again. This album was the basis of a lot of punk attidue, with all songs showing raw emotion, and most showing some form of rebellion and independence, for Pete Townshend wrote it when he has just a teenager. In fact, the album was originally goin to be titled "Lifhouse," because it was originally another rock opera. Recently, Pete has been trying to bring Lifehouse back, along with Roger Daltrey, but it's a slow process.

The lyrics are what I personally think, are the best Pete Townshend has ever written. By that time, it was the most intelligently put together album of the Who, with the exception of maybe Tommy. The reason why it was so popular, is because, like I said before, Pete wrote it as a teen. The Who audience was largely teen based, and the lyrics sunk deep and related to them. "They'll be fighting in the streets, with our children at our feet, and the morals to be worshiped, will be gone." Its lyrics like that that draw in the pushed around, and put down, more than My Gneration could ever do. My Generation is a great song, no doubt, it's just that these lyrics are a bit more thought out and personal. And the singer skills. Many consider this as the peak of the Who's career, and this being the peak of Roger Daltrey's career is no exception. He was in his prime, 26 and 27 years old when they recorded, and the power and ruggedness of his voice expresses the lyrics put forth by Pete tremendously. Pete's voice shows up occasionally, too, so its a relief to hear a softer, dare I say, more feminine voice tone in. And on the only non-Pete written song, My Wife (written by John Entwhistle), the humor of the song is brought out well by John's rough voice.

Overall, I consider this one of my favorite albums. It really turned the band in a new direction, with more of a serious mood then what The Who was before. Without a doubt, Wont Get Fooled Again is the most impressive song, with it being the finale if you get the original 9 song album. It's fitting to have it last, and certainly not least, for that was the closer to most of there concerts from then on. It sums up the album in one, 8: 32 minute blast of power, amazing synth, and emotion. I love the flow and the atmosphere it creates when you listen to it, it just makes you want to jump out of your chair, bed, car, etc and just smash something, or do some air guitar windmilling. The only thing I really dont like is that because many of these songs are so popular and often heard, others are often overshadowed, and you may have an overload of Behind Blue Eyes ot Baba O'Riley, because they are constantly on the radio too. I strongly recomend it, and if I were to lose it, or have it stolen from my kung-fu grip, god forbid, I would deffinately re-buy it. Or kick who ever stole it's ass with no mercy.

bluesbreaker59
    The extended versions is better with 16 songs...just as good of tunes are "I don't even know myself" and "water" which are on the deluxe edition