Who's Next review by The Who

• Released: Aug 25, 1971
The Who: Who's Next

This is definitely the Who's best album. The electric guitar sound is so unique. It's a smooth sound, a little overdriven. I fell in love with it the moment I heard it. Keith Moon's drumming was great, the fills were even better. Vocals were powerful, especially Roger Daltrey's. On some tracks like Behind Blue Eyes, they were more gentle. Entwistle's bass was great, but it was a little hard to hear over Keith Moon and Pete Townshend. The synthesizers were used really well, considering they were new technology at the time. This album was made from what was left from the failed Lifehouse project, which was bound to be a rock opera.

Since this album was salvaged from Lifehouse, the lyrics are very deep. Some songs tell some sort of story. The moods of the song were matched perfectly to the music. The track, My Wife was written by John Entwistle. It has a dark sense of humor as all his other songs. Overall the lyrics were well written. Pete Townshend is a genius.

You can compare this to Led Zeppelin IV. It is very diverse, a turning point in The Who's career, and is probably their best effort (like Led Zeppelin IV). The most impressive songs from the album are the opening and closing tracks (not including bonus songs), Baba O Riley and Won't Get Fooled Again. I also liked Love Aib't for Keeping. Everything was great about this album, but I was disappointed we couldn't hear more of the Ox. I would definetly buy this again.

Big Tommy P
    skagitup
    why does me_and_my_esp keep going on about pete writing whos next as a teen? get your facts right before you review an album maybe?
    pie_man_25
    Big Tommy P wrote: this IS the GREATEST album of ALL TIME!! Pete Townshend is a lyrical genius, and if you think you're struggling with the complexity of the lyrics, just listen to My Wife, such a funny song, simple, easy to understand. Roger Daltrey, Pete Townshend, John Entwistle and Keith Moon...i salute you all (even if two of you are dead)
    Big Tommy P, I love this guy, He's got it all right. let's start a Who fans' Armie!!!