Wire & Glass review by The Who

• Released: Jul 24, 2006
The Who: Wire & Glass

The music on the album is spectacular. It very much reminds me of the Tommy and Quadrophenia days. The singing, for the most part, is fairly well. Roger's voice quivers and shakes a bit, and Pete kind of sings off tune, but since when have the Who been conventional? The first song, 'Sound Round', starts off with a quick drum solo intro into an uptempo song. Roger's voice is strong and Pete's guitar work is just like the old days. Fades quietly going right into the next song. The next song, 'Pick Up The Peace, ' picks up right where 'Sound Round' ended, not missing a beat. Roger's voice shakes a little bit but only adds effect to the someone mysterious song. Ends quietly again and goes into a slower number. 'Endless Wire, ' sung by Pete, is a slow acoustic-piano song, sounding a little big by country. Pete seems a little off-key on some notes, but he's always been a little off-key. It basically repeats the same expression throughout the majority of the song. 'We Got a Hit' picks up a little bit and has a real catchy chorus with some acoustic action and harmonies. Roger's voice is right on. 'You Make My Dreams Come True' is a western sounding song, as I would describe it, with Pete sounding somewhat eerie during the chorus. A real odd, shorter song, goes directly in the finale. 'Mirror Door' is by far the highlight of the whole album. A loud crowd fades into Pete's electric power chords and Roger's powerful voice as a nice piano piece plays along with Pete. Roger's voice does quiver a bit on the higher chorus, but again it only adds effect to the song. It slows down a lot to an ending where Roger is talking with music behind him, and then fades back into the crowd cheering.

The lyrics are based on the Lifehouse project that failed and basically became Who's Next. The whole 'opera' story has not been exactly deciphered yet and may take some time to do, but for now we'll all have to look to Pete's Lifehouse project for answers on the story.

Based on the last Who albums that came out, like Face Dances and It's Hard, Wire & Glass is the most original sounding Who like I've ever heard them. The whole album was original and exciting, and I honestly couldn't find any real faults other than personal preference. I highly, highly recommend buying Wire & Glass.

Stop Messin'
    I still can't believe The Who is releasing a new album. I cant wait to get it, it's gonna be great.
    srv665
    ^ Yea Zak is gonnna drum along with pino palladino on bass along with several other people
    Ixthyx
    Wasn't Greg Lake on Bass with them for a time? Not that Pino isn't great, but Greg has alot more history.
    Cobalt Blue
    so has this been released kinda like a single? and it's going to be on the new album? just a little confused... i just hope they step it up from the 2 songs they released with that best of a few years back. they were alright, but nothing to special.
    the_walrus67
    I don't think they should have named themselves The Who, because there are only two of them left, they should have done what Jimmy Page and Robert Plant did. Anyway i'm still excited about buying their new album though.