A Guide To Love, Loss & Desperation review by The Wombats

• Released: Oct 29, 2007
The Wombats: A Guide To Love, Loss & Desperation

The words Liverpool and Pop are used in the same sentence rather frequently nowadays, as the Liverpool music scene is growing rapidly, with an influx of hip, young indie bands roaming the clubs and bars and generally tearing the city apart with fresh new music for the masses. Well, The Wombats sum up that scene completely. When you listen to the band play, it's like a breath of fresh air. Punky beats guaranteed to get your toes tapping and singalong choruses galore, this is right up anyone's street.

The lyrics on this album are full of witty comments about life as a teenager, which most of us can relate to. Drunken nights in a forest, falling in love on the school bus, and ironic song choices at the local disco. The choruses will stick in your head for weeks, and expect to hear them an awful lot at the batch of festivals next summer. Perfect indie lyrics in almost every way, with singer Murph being backed by his two bandmates to create a layered sound which tantalises.

Ok, so The Wombats are generically indie, but who cares? They are a complete breath of fresh air, with an arsenal of songs that will be unleashed upon the world soon enough. My favourite songs on the album are Kill The Director (complete with sly Bridget Jones references), Party In A Forest and Let's Dance To Joy Division, although all of the songs on this album can be loved, cherished, and belted out with your mates at the pub on a Saturday night. What more could you want from a debut album?

garthunkle
    The Wombats are amazing. The best song on the album is definitely Moving to New York. The opening chords are so cool! Great review.
    orgasmickey
    "Let's dance to joy division" is fun. much more fun that joy division band ever were.
    slayer457
    i love this band heard them on tripple j and loved them, a bit popy/indei but as u said who cares they r catchy and awseome
    zapatista89
    craig-scott91 wrote: sound exactly the same live as on the album, brilliant!
    why is that good? why not just play the cd in a crowd of people?
    zapatista89
    Drunken nights in a forest, falling in love on the school bus, and ironic song choices at the local disco. truly thought provoking deep running music then
    bluemoon05
    A breath of fresh air, I'm an 'indie' fan but this album has some terrible songs on it.
    shut_up_you_***
    I am not an indie fan... but I quite enjoy Let's Dance to Joy Division. It was quite nice to wake to that song when my radio turned on. The bassist has a killer tone on their latest single.
    Noisette
    Seems as if this is a bit of a 'marmite album'. Personally, I think it's brilliant, which is why I gave it a good review, but I can see why some people wouldn't like it.
    CasanovaBass
    Great, catchy album. Fun to listen to, but it can be quite easy to overplay it. Choruses will be in your head for /weeks/
    calummurray14
    zapatista89 wrote: craig-scott91 wrote: sound exactly the same live as on the album, brilliant! why is that good? why not just play the cd in a crowd of people?
    Of course it is good. I agree with craig, brilliant band, brilliant album and brilliant live