A Guide To Love, Loss & Desperation Review

8.7
 8.5
 8.9
A Guide To Love, Loss & Desperation Reviewed by: Noisette, on december 03, 2007

Sound: The words Liverpool and Pop are used in the same sentence rather frequently nowadays, as the Liverpool music scene is growing rapidly, with an influx of hip, young indie bands roaming the clubs and bars and generally tearing the city apart with fresh new music for the masses. Well, The Wombats sum up that scene completely. When you listen to the band play, it's like a breath of fresh air. Punky beats guaranteed to get your toes tapping and singalong choruses galore, this is right up anyone's street. // 8

Lyrics: The lyrics on this album are full of witty comments about life as a teenager, which most of us can relate to. Drunken nights in a forest, falling in love on the school bus, and ironic song choices at the local disco. The choruses will stick in your head for weeks, and expect to hear them an awful lot at the batch of festivals next summer. Perfect indie lyrics in almost every way, with singer Murph being backed by his two bandmates to create a layered sound which tantalises. // 9

Overall Impression: Ok, so The Wombats are generically indie, but who cares? They are a complete breath of fresh air, with an arsenal of songs that will be unleashed upon the world soon enough. My favourite songs on the album are Kill The Director (complete with sly Bridget Jones references), Party In A Forest and Let's Dance To Joy Division, although all of the songs on this album can be loved, cherished, and belted out with your mates at the pub on a Saturday night. What more could you want from a debut album? // 9

A Guide To Love, Loss & Desperation Reviewed by: tobiii95, on may 04, 2011

Sound: The Wombats are an alternative band which sums up their style well. It is not too similar to other bands but is very well written and complex with many parts interlocking at all times to give the full effect which is very impresive. I suppose if I had to give similar artists it would be Foals, Bloc Party and maybe even the Arctic Monkeys. // 8

Lyrics: The Wombats would not win a singing contest but that's not what their music is all about, its a bit messy but not not too shabby and fits in with the overall picture. It was a bit of a gamble when I brought this album because I had not really made my mind up about The Wombats and when I got I listened to the first song ("Tales Of Boys, Girls And Marsupials") which almost put me off completely but don't stop their listen to it all and allow your common taste to be slightly altered but then the wacky lyrics combined with the choppy music style make a truly great band. // 7

Overall Impression: There a very goo band and have a wide range of music. I love the way that they are not just the standard indie band but have a twist or an alternative style which I really like. They have a few songs that stand out from the crowd which are "Let's Dance To Joy Division", "Moving To New York" and "Kill The Director" which are all very very good songs and the otyhers are not just the standard album fillers. However some are slightly odd but stick with it. Definately a album well worth buying. // 9

A Guide To Love, Loss & Desperation Reviewed by: iamaguitarfish, on january 09, 2008

Sound: There are some bands where it is astonishing to hear how full a song they can write using only a guitar, a bass, and a drum kit when bands with twice the variety of instruments can only produce pale imitations and the wombats are one of these bands. This is indie rock at it's greatest, you can dance to it, sing to it and, should the mood take you, cry in your bedroom to it. I propose creating a new genre called "multi-purpose rock" to use in situations such as this! // 9

Lyrics: This album is in escence the diary of three 20 something teens who are trying to find themselves while having a good time and this is what it sounds like. The lyrics are not deep or moving, they will not change your life or inspire you but they are funny and many young people will be able to relate to the situations they describe. I personly love the lyrics to these songs as they seen to tell my life story in 15 fun and easy to listen to songs. // 9

Overall Impression: This album does not have many faults, it is not very impressive or technically difficult but then it never claimed to be. The lyrics are not very deep, verging on superficial but nobody ever said that music was a philosiphy lesson (correct me if I'm wrong) it is just honest funny indie rock with no secrets and nothing to hide and this is why I like it so much. // 8

Comments