Suburbia I've Given You All And Now I'm Nothing review by The Wonder Years

• Released: Jun 14, 2011
The Wonder Years: Suburbia I've Given You All And Now I'm Nothing

As with previous albums and EP's by The Wonder Years, the sound is no different. The guitars are loud and play catchy melodies that you'll hum along to after the first listen. The bass is low, deep and fast. Songs like "Woke Up Older" and "Don't Let Me Cave In", the bass stands our or has a bass "solo" of sorts. In "Suburbia", there is an excellent mix of fast paced action riffs and slow, soft ballad type songs. "Suburbia" (the song), though short, is one of those ballads that in part reminds some of "Logan Circle (A New Hope)" off of "The Upsides" reissue. The sound in "Suburbia" lives up to all expectations and very, very high standards made by 2010's "The Upsides".

One of the best aspects of The Wonder Years are the lyrics. In "The Upsides", Daniel "Soupy" Campbell sang of getting out of depression (The album is called "The UPSIDES"!) Those songs were meaningful in every way from singing about the loneliness of breaking up, moving out of your girlfriend's apartment to doing some very messed up things involving the WBC with your friends just to make you feel better. "Suburbia" is just as every bit meaningful as it is fun. "I came out swinging from a South Philly basement / Caked in stale beer and sweat under half-lit fluorescence / I spent the winter writing songs about getting better / And if I'm being honest, I'm getting there." These lyrics are an honest, genuine and sincere way of letting us know that depression is serious, but it can also be fixed by singing, friends and just a good time. The lyrics fit the music in every way. Soupy and the entire gang shine with their vocals and lyrics in "Don't Let Me Cave In".

If this album was stolen, I would forever hunt the person who did so; I would do the exact same with all of The Wonder Years' albums. I would gladly buy another one again, in a heartbeat, even. Every song is impressive in its own way by guitars, drums, bass and lyric standards. One straight listen-through is never enough for a Wonder Years. To say that this album is a top notch in the pop-punk genre is like saying 2012 won't be the end of the world. It's clearly obvious... The Wonder Years have done it again with "Suburbia". Top notch guitar melodies and even higher notch lyrics. It is very difficult to imagine pop-punk getting better in any way after this album.

r0ckth3d34n
    I don't think it's quite up there with The Upsides; that CD was an absolute masterpiece. Suburbia is close to that, but it's almost heavier and more simplistic. I really liked it nonetheless.