Suburbia I've Given You All And Now I'm Nothing Review

Lyrics: 9.5
 9.6
 9.5
 9.7
Suburbia I've Given You All And Now I'm Nothing Reviewed by: JoshDropD, on june 14, 2011

Sound: As with previous albums and EP's by The Wonder Years, the sound is no different. The guitars are loud and play catchy melodies that you'll hum along to after the first listen. The bass is low, deep and fast. Songs like "Woke Up Older" and "Don't Let Me Cave In", the bass stands our or has a bass "solo" of sorts. In "Suburbia", there is an excellent mix of fast paced action riffs and slow, soft ballad type songs. "Suburbia" (the song), though short, is one of those ballads that in part reminds some of "Logan Circle (A New Hope)" off of "The Upsides" reissue. The sound in "Suburbia" lives up to all expectations and very, very high standards made by 2010's "The Upsides". // 9

Lyrics: One of the best aspects of The Wonder Years are the lyrics. In "The Upsides", Daniel "Soupy" Campbell sang of getting out of depression (The album is called "The UPSIDES"!) Those songs were meaningful in every way from singing about the loneliness of breaking up, moving out of your girlfriend's apartment to doing some very messed up things involving the WBC with your friends just to make you feel better. "Suburbia" is just as every bit meaningful as it is fun. "I came out swinging from a South Philly basement / Caked in stale beer and sweat under half-lit fluorescence / I spent the winter writing songs about getting better / And if I'm being honest, I'm getting there." These lyrics are an honest, genuine and sincere way of letting us know that depression is serious, but it can also be fixed by singing, friends and just a good time. The lyrics fit the music in every way. Soupy and the entire gang shine with their vocals and lyrics in "Don't Let Me Cave In". // 9

Overall Impression: If this album was stolen, I would forever hunt the person who did so; I would do the exact same with all of The Wonder Years' albums. I would gladly buy another one again, in a heartbeat, even. Every song is impressive in its own way by guitars, drums, bass and lyric standards. One straight listen-through is never enough for a Wonder Years. To say that this album is a top notch in the pop-punk genre is like saying 2012 won't be the end of the world. It's clearly obvious... The Wonder Years have done it again with "Suburbia". Top notch guitar melodies and even higher notch lyrics. It is very difficult to imagine pop-punk getting better in any way after this album. // 9

Suburbia I've Given You All And Now I'm Nothing Reviewed by: t3h_pwn3r3r_ii, on april 02, 2012

Sound: With three guitars strumming along to these catchy bass rhythms and drums beating hard on those punk beats, TWY have achieved something amazing. This is pop-punk at it's finest and it all works. Those fast songs like "Local Man" and "My Life As A Pigeon" feel so right. But the emotional heavier tracks like "And Now I'm Nothing" are sheer incredible. All six of them work together to form the stuff I wanna lose my virginity too. // 10

Lyrics: Soupy is by far my favourite lyricist. Lyrics like "Suburbia stop pushing, I know what I'm doing" (a line from "America" by Alan Ginsberg however) and "I came out swinging from a Sotuh Phily basement caved in stale beer and sweat" are not metaphorical and that is why they work. Soupy doesn't need those metaphors or overuse of imagery. He gets to the f--king point. That's why it is genius. // 10

Overall Impression: Absolutely f--king incredible! the best album ever and because of the impact of lyrics, the pure sound of three guitars and drums and bass is overwhelming. To state it clearly, when I listened to "Local Man", I cried. Enough said. // 10

Comments