The Greatest Generation review by The Wonder Years

• Released: May 14, 2013
The Wonder Years: The Greatest Generation

The Wonder Years set out to complete their self proclaimed Trilogy with the release of "The Greatest Generation." This Pop Punk band from Philadelphia have released 4 albums (though they publicly denounce their first record), along with several other singles, splits, and EPs. "The Greatest Generation" is full of all the usual tropes that many fans have come to love from The Wonder Years. "The Greatest Generation," complete the trilogy started with their second album "The Upsides," and bridged by "Suburbia I've Given You All." The band called the album the third in a trilogy about growing up and finding our who you are. The lead singer and lyricist for the band Dan "Soupy" Campbell said that the album is about ending the war between himself and depression and anxiety, or at least coming to terms with it. The title is from a term coined by Tom Brokaw, having stated that the men and women from the second World War were the "Greatest Generation". This is reflected in the lyrics in the album at points as well, but more on that later. Recorded above a deli in an abandoned apartment the album has this eerie echo to it at times, especially on the third to last track, an acoustic piece titled "Madelyn." But it also gives power to some of the lyrics especially on the first and second tracks "There, There" and "Passing Through A Screen Door," respectively. The album is full of the emotion from start to finish. The band has always been about a group of misfits trying to come to terms with themselves but not trying to be like everyone else. The album has all of the angst and adrenaline that gets your blood pumping whenever it starts playing. But the album also gets into a slower piano driven moments, such is the case with the song "The Devil in My Bloodstream." From start to finish the album fires on all cylinders and never lets up. A perfect example of what a good pop punk should be.

As stated previously the lead singer of The Wonder Years Dan Campbell wrote his lyrics in an inward sense, he writes for himself and has little nuances that possibly only a select few people, or no one at all would understand. Yet even with this inward type of exposition, the lyrics are able to be interpreted by the listener because there are still these broad ideas and the listener can draw their own experience or life into the song. A prime example of this occurs in the second track on the album "Passing Through a Screen Door." The song itself is about growing up and looking at all of your friends and seeing that they are doing great things in life and are moving on and up in the world. Towards the end of the song Soupy questions his own lifestyle. "Well Jesus Christ//I'm 26//all the people I graduated with//all have kids//all have wives//all have people who care if they come home at night// well Jesus Christ//did I f--k up?..." And any teenager or someone in their early to mid 20s can really draw life experiences from this style of song because it makes them think about their own life. "The Greatest Generation" also has references to war as well. Such as in the chorus of "The Devil in My Bloodstream": "Two blackbirds on a highway sign// their laughing at me at 4 in the morning// they play the war drums out of time// so I'm not sure where I've been marching..." The album is lyrically tied together by the closing track "I Just Want to Sell Out My Funeral" which is a cleverly crafted piece that draws parts from the other tracks on the album to make it into a cohesive experience and really does bring the trilogy to a great close. Soupy's style of singing is perfect for the type of sound that The Wonder Years has going for them, a fast energetic pop punk band. Think along the lines of New Found Glory and Bowling For Soup for vocal style.

"The Greatest Generation" is possibly one of the best pop punk albums I have ever listened to, and definitely a solid album for anyone to try and get into the band. There is no one song on the album that stands out as "The Best" but my top 3 right now would be: "Dismantling Summer," "Teenagers" and "A Raindance in Traffic." And if you are weary of buying the album the band put the whole thing up for streaming on YouTube. I don't think there is a single song I dislike on the album but I do have a habit of skipping over "An American Religion" and "Madelyn" when I'm trying to find good driving music but both songs are still amazing and complete the album, and the last song on the album has a much better feel to it if you listen to the entire album before you dive into the 7 minute track. This album is going to be on my top 10 album list, and will see an almost continuous play on my iPod for a long time to come.

YouTube preview picture
YouTube preview picture

demonhunter2211
    It's pretty pathetic that the rest of the music world is in love with these guys, but it took over 2 weeks for a review to appear on UG and only 3 votes on it. -_-
    guitarist5477
    Did I miss a memo or something? Since when did the rest of the music world love this band (not that they should or shouldn't) but most people I talk to would never have heard of The Wonder Years.
    Gerard Way Jr
    Good album, great band. Highly recommended for anyone looking for the best in 2010s pop-punk. Good review, maybe a bit high on the ratings, but it IS a damn good listen.
    F8iscruel
    Thank You, I don't think I over-evaluated the record, from the pop punk genre it's a lot of leg to stand on from how much it brings to the table. Is there a bit of bias? I'll concede that there most definitely is on my part because I am a huge fan of them, but I don't think that the site would have had a review had a fan not written it. but don't get me wrong, had there been any problems with the album I would have brought them up. I only touched on it but Madelyn and American Religion are both tracks I just do not always want to listen to but at the same time they are written very well and add to the album as a whole, and as an entire piece the album is, for me, what I rated it at. Thank you for the feedback
    Gerard Way Jr
    Well, when looking at ratings over 7 or 8, it's not necessarily judging whether or not there is anything "bad", rather whether or not there is anything innovative and something that truly goes above and beyond in terms of the genre, the band itself, etc. Look especially at what other albums you might rate that high, be they Abbey Road or A Night at the Opera, or in a pop-punk fan's case blink's self-titled (or Enema) and Dookie etc. Asking whether or not what you're reviewing has the same merits, or different merits on the same level, is a good indicator of what the numeric rating should be.
    notsominidude
    Fantastic album, decent review. At times it seemed to read a bit like a school essay, trying to tick certain boxes, slightly disjointed to read. Might just be me though
    metallicaflavor
    "their laughing at me?" Great grammar kid, but it is a fantastic album.
    F8iscruel
    Oh my, I never even saw that. my apologies for the error :/ but next time you could just point it out in a better less rude way. and yes the album is amazing!
    lespaul1216
    I'd also like to point out there is no song called "Teenagers". I'm sure you were referring to "Teenage Parents". And the album was WRITTEN, not recorded above a sandwich shop. It was RECORDED in California with Steve Evetts.
    lespaul1216
    i was really stoked to see a review of this album on here, because it is an incredible album from a band that should get more attention they do. But then I read it and saw how poorly written and generally annoying this article is.