Deceiver review by The Word Alive

• Released: Aug 31, 2010
The Word Alive: Deceiver

One great thing about the post-hardcore scene is that it's extremely similar in a way to professional sports as musicians can float between different bands. The average person would think such constant change could destroy a collective group, but for this particular genre, it has been known to improve artists and their talents and increase their exposure. For most cases, in a positive way. Exhibit A is The Word Alive. Having issued an extended play in 2009, the group was led by frontman Tyler "Telle" Smith to write an oddly impressive debut. His talent and experience (former member of acts like Emarosa, In Fear And Faith and Greeley Estates) is illuminated throughout the disc. But like most metalcore acts, the Phoenix six-piece can't seem to grasp the branch called "unique". Opening tracks "The Hounds Of Anubis" and "Epiphany" swirl spiderweb guitar licks with carnivorous vocals and a menacing kick behind the drum kit but don't leave listeners searching for their teeth after being kicked in the mouth. Part of the reason could be due to producer Andrew Wade's efforts as though Deceiver has a tough exterior, its innards are lined with experimental rock melodies giving it a pop feel semi-hardcore fans can stomach. Stitching together the fluffiness inside is a raw power and sound The Word Alive perspire without any awkwardness.

Smith's vocal strength is outlined with a highlighter that is The Word Alive's first EP Empire. The musician's gut-wrenched scream tried to dance with the bands brash anthem-sized sound but tripped, no matter how hard it tried. On Deceiver, it has learnt from its mistakes as Smith's voice is wrapped in piercing breakdowns that propel his voice to the center of your attention ("Like Father Like Son", "We Know Who You Are"). The clean vocals on the otherhand appear forced (cue "Consider It Mutual" and "2012") and when tied with simple lyrics, it doesn't scratch your ears or your brain the way it should as it staples the "just-another-metalcore" label to the group.

Metalcore bands are sprouting from various cities across the United States and beyond but with Deceiver, The Word Alive show they're not another simplistic Vans Warped Tour attraction. Backed by experience and an undeniable collection of talent, the group have polished the beginning of their career with a shiny debut. Now they just need time to stray away from the pop metal hooks that infect the scene they hope to tear apart.

WARLOCK123
    They aren't as generic as people claim. They have much better leads than Asking Alexandria and are just better in general. They also do stuff tastefully, its not all full pelt scream/sign combos for 40mins.
    Amaseng
    IDoCocaine
    You don't have to be original to be good. If it sounds good to me, I don't care how much they sound like another band. Anyway, these guys are a hell of a lot better than Asking Alexandria or Attack Attack.
    kaizerkhan13
    awesome album. loved em when a few of the members were with Calling of Syrens, lost touch before the EP came out and after i heard it had to buy everything they had.
    1eyedgopher
    So i know this genre gets a lot of shit about being generic. And The Word Alive is much the same as other bands in it. But, in my opinion, these guys kill tons of other bands with the same style. In the songs that aren't "fluffy", they bring more heat than ive ever heard from any other band. They may not be the most unique, but they do bring a little something new to the table. And unlike many other bands with a keyboard, this guy actually knows what hes doing. Also, the guitar work is completely unique and well done. All in all- I agree, what they do isnt anything overly unique, but theyre amazing at it.
    LightxGrenade
    If every band that came out was absolutely original or ground breaking, then it wouldn't be special at all. This band doesn't bring anything new to the table but they do what they do very well. I'm sick and tired of ppl always bashing bands because they sound similar to another band. I mean ****, that's why they're in the same genre isn't it? If you don't like them, that's not a problem but enough of the "they sound like this band, therefore they suck" argument...ranting aside, I think they did some pretty interesting things on this album especially with the delay on guitars in songs like "consider it mutual"
    Cappo.08
    EpiExplorer wrote: Ibanezrocker800 wrote: EpiExplorer wrote: crazysam23_Atax wrote: Oh, yay! Another carbon copy "core" band. Its utterly disgusting how generic this band is. OH BUT I'LL BET SOMEONE WILL RESPOND AND SO HOW AWESOME IT IS ANYWAY. Its not. Synths do not automatically make it better.. it sounds exactly like Asking Alexandria. generic, yes, but one of the best generic ones. very talented at their individual instruments, but it's too bad they're playing in a very saturated genre. someone who hadn't heard asking alexandria, attack attack, etc. would be impressed by this album. I'd agree to that, but take away the synths.. ya know, just more of the same.
    obviously someones gunna respond saying how awesome it is.. what makes your opinion more important than everyone elses? Just because you say "oh i bet people are gunna say their awesome anyways. but i know better than all of you..blah blah" doesn't make you seem intelligent, it makes you look like an arrogant ****. Which you clearly are... Not the biggest fan heavy music, but i definitely pop the word alive in sometimes.. you ever watch the videos of them playing their riffs? Their amazing musicians and you gotta respect that, no matter what type of music they choose to play.
    AlexHaase
    I just recently discovered this band and I gotta say, I think they're a great group of individuals and they all have a lot of talent. They know how to make good music. I personally don't care if a band is "generic" or not, if the music sounds good, and in this case it does, I'm gonna listen to it, and support them. As an active musician, I know how it feels to take constructive criticism, but saying these guys suck, or they're not very good is just utterly wrong.
    dixie_nourmous
    yeah this band is a lot better than asking alexandria. but then again they are very generic. they have very talented guitarists thought. so i am torn on whether or not to like them!
    EpiExplorer
    crazysam23_Atax wrote: Oh, yay! Another carbon copy "core" band.
    ianaimo
    I saw them again for the 2nd time. Not a great band at all. Nice guyz though!
    SkylitGavin
    adj209 wrote: Wasn't Craig in this band?
    Yeah.. he started it with his friends after Blessthefall but he got fired because he was always with Escape The Fate
    qu1cky
    i lost all respect for these guys when the fired their previous drummer for being off time at a show
    moth3R
    Amaseng wrote: You guys have no idea what the hell you are talking about. This is not "another Asking Alexandria" or "another carbon copy -core band". Breakdowns are placed perfectly and aren't being used, the synths actually lend to the music and blend perfectly with the guitar. It's not just another gimmick. Vocals are also top notch, guitar solos are a great touch, and the drumming is superb. Don't knock it until you listen to it. The end.
    This. Love the dubstep-breakdown in "Like Father Like Son" wom wom-wom-wom chug chug-chug chug Good stuff.
    Team_Snorlax
    The break down in "Father like Son" is just insane. Its simple, but the lyrics are what get you. "Dont F**K With Family"
    thecheat3224
    I saw this band with Bleeding Through. Deceiver is an awesome album, definitely worth a listen. This breaks away from the generic qualities of post-hardcore and is pretty enjoyable.
    TheAquarian1
    I came across this band just recently. I like them. Deceiver is a great album. I also like the Empire EP.
    Ibanezrocker800
    Seb1uk
    this band's way better than asking alexandria. they're really not as generic as you think. maybe i don't listen enough to the genre but i'd have thought this is a pretty sick album. epiphany is an amazing song.
    EpiExplorer
    I'd agree to that, but take away the synths.. ya know, just more of the same.