Deceiver review by The Word Alive

• Released: Aug 31, 2010
The Word Alive: Deceiver

The Word Alive are a relative newcomer to the metalcore scene, but that doesn't make them any less capable of breaking some necks with their first major release as a unit. The band incorporates standards of the genre (uber-heavy breakdowns, sung choruses, etc.) but also add their own flairs, while making the standard stuff sound fresh. Their keyboardist adds a nice touch to the overall sound (see Hounds of Anubis or 2012) and the band isn't afraid to let the engines cool off for some slower numbers. The guitar work can be absolutely stunning, shifting from breakdowns to extreme technical flourishes a la August Burns Red or We Came As Romans.

Lyrically, the band isn't terrible, just not overly impressive. You have your standard metalcore fare in the breakdowns (ex. 2012 breakdown, the vocalist rasps "you get what you deserve for f*&%ing with me"). The lyrics aren't absolutely terrible, but it's most certainly not something to bring the band down any.

Deceiver is an album worth checking out whether your big on Metalcore or just getting into the genre. These fellows take a fresh new spin on a genre that has been constantly loosing steam for a while now. This album is totally worth the purchase price if you can find it.

Bassslsl
    Amazing band, there is nothing Generic about them what so ever! Every Member is an amazing musician, and I love hoe creative the breakdowns are. They set the bar for every "Core" band out there.
    vppark2
    haters gonna hate. man this shit is 1 of my fav bands, fresh stuff, sum of the best stuff iv heard in metalcore, and r u kidding me? the lyrics r amazing, and everything else keyboard, etc r amazingly done, flatout rating of a 10 in my opinion overall
    KsE3234
    good band, great guys, met them when i went to see them live. Loaded with talent, the guitar parts are excellent as well as every other aspect. who doesn't love a dubstep breakdown as awesome as in 2012. expect big things from these guys