Deceiver review by The Word Alive

• Released: Aug 31, 2010
The Word Alive: Deceiver

This album hold back nothing. With they're first full album release, The Word Alive proves that they belong in the post-hardcore scene. Unlike other bands though, The Word Alive uses punishing guitar riffs like the ones found on "Epiphany", "The Hounds Of Anubis" and "We Know Who You Are". The best thing I found about this album is the fact that The Word Alive switches from head-banging metal to heart-grabbing ballads. "You're All I See", "Consider It Mutual" and "Dream Catcher" so the "softer" side of this band, but they still keep it rocking. "2012" is easily my favorite track though. Its sound is gritty and the techno breakdown is the only one of its kind.

Telle's screaming is very brutal on this album. He mixes his highs and lows perfectly. The guitar players also sing and the balance of scream/sing is better than most other bands do. The lyrics are more on the darker side about hurt with a mix of your traditional "I'm going to prove myself". I feel like the lyrics could have been more "deep", but the singing/screaming is quite good.

This is a strong debut by this band. I've listened to it quite a few times and still go back to it. Sometimes bands debuts aren't quite as good as a sophomore release, but The Word Alive's debut sounds like a veteran's band best album. I'm looking forward to seeing what these guys will do on later releases. This is a great addition to anyone who loves post-hardcore's library.

AlyxPAIS
    Bassslsl wrote: Amazing band, there is nothing Generic about them what so ever! Every Member is an amazing musician, and I love hoe creative the breakdowns are. They set the bar for every "Core" band out there.
    They're pretty generic...