Deceiver review by The Word Alive

• Released: Aug 31, 2010
The Word Alive: Deceiver

In my personal opinion, the instruments are ground breaking. The guitar work is never the same and not only creative but catchy. Tony and Zach's skills are ridiculous and they both mesh so well. The one thing I love the most is that the breakdowns are never the same, instead of the repetitive open chugs you see in most Core bands. You have songs like "Hounds Of Anubis" where Telle screams "You have failed me for the last time" then the breakdown just drives which is rare to see. In addition, the breakdown in "2012" is just extremely catchy, it instantly gets stuck in your head all day. The only song that I felt lacked on the album was "We Know Who You Are" Epic beginning but the ending to the song just dragged out way too much.

The lyrics is the most lacking part of the album. It is more "in your face" and "everyone screwed me over, now I want revenge" type lyrics which goes with the title of the album but it gets repetitive with lyrics like "we won't follow the deceiver", "this is what you get for f--cking with me", "you f--cking fake". I will say that I give props to Telle for his lyrics in "Consider It Mutual". "If friends are friends for never, then we were never friends at all" which is rumored to be an attack towards Greeley Estates. It's probably the best comeback I have ever seen in a song.

Overall, I would have to say that The Word Alive has a lot of potential. I'm sure someone would disagree with me but in my opinion they are the most unique (Instrumentally) Metalcore band out there right now. Telle isn't the best singer that I ever heard in this genre but he works well in the band, though I wouldn't have mind to see what they would have sound like with Craig Mabbit. My favorite songs on "Deceiver" would have to be "2012" for its brutal, yet catchy rifts, "Epiphany" for its overall song structure and "The Wretched" because of the amazing breakdown with David from We Came As Romans.