Roger The Engineer review by The Yardbirds

• Released: Jan 1, 1966
The Yardbirds: Roger The Engineer

This was the Yardbirds most "experimental" album. When I first bought this album I wasn't sure what it would sound like. The only songs I had heard off it were Over Under Sideways and Happenings Ten Years Time Ago. When I put it in, I ended up listening to the whole thing. It was such a good album that I had to play it over and over again. The album has such a great bluesy sound to it. Jeff Beck is a master with his guitar on this album. Jimmy Page also apears on this albumon the tracks Phsyco Daisies and Happenings Ten Years Time Ago (which has a sound and feel so ahead of its time) which John Paul Jones also plays the bass on. The only thing that bothers me is that the song The Nazz Are Blue isn't too original. I wish I could give this like a 9.5 but I can't so 10.

This being the only Yardbirds album with all "original" material I have to say they did a prety damn good job on it. The lyrics range from "blah" to "amazing." Since it would be way to hard to rate the whole album in general I'll rate each song individualy. 01. Lost Woman - 8/10, I like these lyrics they are well written. The only thing I don't like is that the subject is very predictable about a woman. 02. Over, Under, Sideways, Down - 7/10, these Lyrics aren't that great they don't stand out to me but I love the feeling of this song and Keith Relf sings it. The main riff is cool too but this is about lyrics. 03. The Nazz Are Blue - 4/10, this song is very un-original. It should have been kept from the album. It was taken from another song (which name escapes me at the moment) I like the guitar in it though. By the way Jeff sings on this track. 04. I Can't Make Your Way - 9/10, this song doesn't have the best lyrics but I like what its meaning. A person who is watching everyone stressed out in a system of work while he is just living life like he wants to and he is happy doing it. 05. Rack My Mind - 3/10, not only are these lyrics very "who cares" but Keith Relf's voice sounds so irritating to me on this track. My least favorite song on the album. 06. Farewell - 10/10, probably the best song lyrically it is also the shortest song on the album. I love the metaphors in it. Listen to it to see what I mean. 07. Hot House Of Omagarashid - instramental (well sort of all they say is Ya Ya Ya Ya). Nice guitar solo though. 08. Jeff's Boogie - instrumental (a cool one at that). 09. He's Always There - 7/10, this is a cool song. The lyrics aren't special but I like it none the less. 10. Turn Into Earth - 10/10, sort of a phsycadelic song. I love it. Hard to hear the lyrics are amazing. This one is tied with Farewell. 11. What Do You Want - 9/10, I like these lyrics. Not amazing but sometimes simple is the best. It's a great song in general. 12. Ever Since The World Began - probably the darkest Yardbirds song. It's about how the devil has made evil through money and that money has been contolling men since the dawn of time. 13. Phsyco Daisies - 7/10, very random song. The lyrics have nothing to do with the title. It's more about the sounds of America. It's an ok song. Jimmy plays guitar on this track with Beck (who is singing). 14. Happenings Ten Years Time Ago - 10/10, probably my favorite Yardbirds song in general. I love the lyrics. I love the guitar solo even more. Jimmy and Beck are also both on this track along with John Paul Johnes. My friend who hates the Yardbirds even admitted this song was great. The last two tracks weren't on the original LP but were released as singles and added to the CD version.

Overall I loved this album. Very underrated. To me its the Yardbirds' White Album. If you are any bit of a Yardbirds and/or Zeppelin fan this is a must. If this were ever stolen I would start screamimg out loud and immediatly run to a record store and buy a copy. I would also track down the ass hole who did it and give him a beating.

zeppdc
    Im a mass Zeppelin fan and so i had a listen to the yardbirds and let me tell ya this is a good album! The Yardbirds were the beggining of something magical...LED ZEPPELIN!!!