Food review by The Zico Chain

• Released: Oct 15, 2007
The Zico Chain: Food

Zico Chain (not The Zico Chain, which is what they were formally called), are a three pieced rock band who are bound to blow you away with thier intense sound! Paul, Chris and Ollie formed the band after going to too many awful gigs and drinking too much cheap booze. Being raised from different musical backgrounds gives them a very unique and individual sound. Apparently, according to Chris Glithero the singing bassist, their mission statement is I want to make the heaviest, most diverse pop album in the world. This album has deffinately left me thinking that exact same thit is. It has catchy vocals, and heavy guitar riffs. Again according to the bands own mission, it is easy to listen to while it pounds your head in hard. I'd say that's a mission complete!

All lyrics were written by the bassist, Chris, which shows that bassists aren't just for backing the music! The lyrics cover everything from the typical rock n roll lifestyle, to war. The music accompanies the lyrics very well. The guitaring is brilliant (I'm not being biased by the way) and fits in very well with the singing, especially when they go alternating. As well as writing the songs, the bassist does the main singing too while the guitarist does backing. Bit of a turn around? The tunes may be Pop-py, but the vocals are screamo. He really puts his heart into it.

I've not heard their first album, but I guess it won't be quite as good as this one. Their main inspirations are funk, britpop and classic rock (with bands such as Queens Of The Stone Age, Tool, Deep Purple and Marilyn Manson) and it is easy to hear this through their music. However, it still holds individuality that many bands just don't have. All the songs are great to dance/headbang to. The first two songs on the album are a great starting point. 'Pretty Pictures' has funky riffs, while 'Where Would You Rather Be? ' is just plain genious and very catchy. I couldn't get it out of my head! Another song that stands out to me is 'All Eyes On Me' due to it's different musical style. If it was stolen from me, I would go and beat the theif up! And if I lost it, well I'd just have to buy another! If your fed up of the current Emo or battle/troll-metal music scene, check Zico Chain out! They're version of rock is like a whole new genre itself.

red157
    Read about them in NME and about how they bear large similarities to QOTSA and took some time out in the desert. Then I visited their myspace and didn't exactly enjoy what they had up there. I'll probably give this album a chance anyway.
    666Sabbath666
    I heard the song Pretty Pictures and thought it was amazing, the I checked them out on myspace and I didn't like it to much, maybe i'll try it again
    life_247
    The first single "Where would you rather be?" is a great rock n roll song
    eisaac
    i saw these guys supporting disturbed along with nevermore. Zico chain were excellent streets ahead of nevermore
    Res.urrect.ion
    Saw 'Zico Chain' when they were the headlining band for the tour with 'Flood Of Shit' and sum other crappy emo as **** band. And they were ****in mind-blowing!! Of course all of the emo freaks had left by then and it was just an awesome gig, and this album is unreal. Every Metalhead /Rocker and....****in everyone should own this!!
    Nizzi
    Yes do give it a chance, it is pretty ace Thnx for the comments, I just posted this yesterday lol
    Hammerzeit
    Guys, these guys are a whole new ball game. Many people threw them out of the window because they sound like nirvana. Wednesday 13/ Manson style vocals with a tinge of Noel Gallagher, mixed with QUOTSA riffery (listen to preach and Where would you rather be). Great live band too. saw them at guilfest in a half empty tent and was like wow.
    Fly-swatter
    they're not like nirvana, they just share two characteristics....they're a three piece and they sound...raw.
    red157
    Album was actually pretty cool, gonna' go see them on Nov 20th now.
    jonny_444_harbs
    i saw them live at collision course in august ace gig shame for the emo bands i had to listen to wait for them to come on. go see them fockon ace
    Amitio
    Saw them supporting 80s b-line matchbox disaster a few days ago! They were much better than the headliners!