Food review by The Zico Chain

• Released: Oct 15, 2007
The Zico Chain: Food

This is the debut album by London based hard rockers Zico Chain. I had to double-take when I read some of testimonials to this album: "the first band to find the middle ground between Nirvana and Guns N Roses", "sounds like Queens of the Stone Age covering Motorhead" etc. I would say that description is about right. Even endorsed by Slash himself, this band sounds like what Velvet Revolver wanted to be. The guitar drives and pounds hooks you in, the drums and bass push the band on, and the singer (who is also the bassist) has a great voice and you can hear the emotion in his voice, which is a great change from all those other "emotional rock" bands these days. Overall it's a very fast, hard rocking album that never relents and keeps delivering; think Rush, if they were teenage metalheads.

The lyrics in Food are great, catchy, well-written, but nothing really spectacular. The lyrics are a nice change from stuff like "honey why you callin' me so late" kind of stuff, and the delivery combined with the music here is very Rock n Roll. The singer's voice is very distinct, and gives the band its own personality; you can hear him get into the song, and that's always a great thing.

These guys have been compared to GN'R, Nirvana, QOTSA and Motorhead; I'd say Zico Chain is the love child of these four bands. They have the balls-out energy of GnR and Motorhead, with the song writing abilities of Nirvana and the heavy, thick sound of QOTSA. Every track on the album is gold, though All Eyes on Me lacks the full-on attack that makes these guys great. Best songs would have to be Pretty Pictures, Where Would You Rather Be, Junk, Nihilism and No Hoper Boy. What I love about this would have to be the fact that every song is memorable, and near-impossible to get out of your head. There is not much wrong with this album, except for the fact that it leaves you wanting more, but news on the street is they're due for a new record sometime this year. If this CD were stolen, I most definitely would buy it again, the album art is great and was actually what made me pick it up in the first place. Overall, great band, great album, go out and buy it already!

soulflyV
    the bayliff wrote: awh I love All Eyes On Me >_
    :/ I just don't like it as much as the others. And when I said "Rush, if they were teenage metalheads", I meant to say "Green Day, if they were teenage metalheads" >.< That doesn't mean they're bad though :p