Who Killed The Zutons review by The Zutons

• Released: Apr 19, 2004
The Zutons: Who Killed The Zutons

I was very suprised by The Zutons' sound, it was nothing like I had expected. The sound is a blend of country, ska and plain old rock, but don't be put off by the country! This sound only comes through on the acoustic songs, and makes the band sound quirky rather than old-fashioned. The singer leaves a bit to be desired, but his tone is good for the type of songs. The saxophone lends that extra pyschedelic, melodic blend to the rather brooding, dark nature of the songs.

The lyrics are good and rhyme, they are also memorable and I find myself singing them at regular intervals. Song's such as 'Havana Gang Brawl' have really excellent lyrics that fit well with the music. As I said before, the singer isn't the best and his voice barely copes with solo passages, but his overall tone is in keeping with the grungey acoustic sound of many of the songs.

The Zutons are a very original band and don't sound like any other band out there in my opinion. Their sound is hard to put a name to but would probably appeal to fans of softcore ska and grunge-acoustic if that even exists! The best songs have to be the one in 3/4 time (very unusual for a modern band) although I'm not sure what it's called, and 'Zuton Fever', the first track. I was really pleased when I was able to burn this Cd and if it was lost I would go out and buy it. What can I say? Buy this album.

WhiteStripesIII
    Zutons rule!!! saw them live supporting REM a week later I had got their album and listened to loads of times... still their not as good as THE WHITE STRIPES!!!