The Way This Works review by Theatre Breaks Loose

• Released: May 5, 2009
  • Users' score: 10 (1 vote)
Theatre Breaks Loose: The Way This Works

The sound on this record is typical power-pop. A sweet drum beat behind two guitars and a bass. But what I enjoy most about the sounds of this album is the harmonizing between the two singers. The trade off lines in "1996" are so well done it's stupid. The guitars range from a nice mellow rhythm to a blazing guitar solo. The drums are quite infectious and definitely make you want to get clapping and dancing around. The track "See Me Through" (the lone piano ballad on the record) is a song you can't get out of your head no matter how hard you try. (in a good way though)

Oh, boy. Where do I start? The catchy chorus'? The lines that you won't forget even though you've tried to? I would say that these lyrics are as catchy as any Beatles song. Not an exaggeration. I find myself thinking about these lyrics even in the middle of conversation. If anyone can write a hook, it is these guys. By the time the second chorus comes around (unless you have short term memory) you WILL know the words. (Oh you know so well/ The way this works/ But you're not that clever/ You always have to have the final words/ It could go on forever) Another thing that got me was how these lyrics and songs are inter-connected, you just have to listen for it.

I would say that this album is better than any power-pop album I've heard in the last 10 years. Every song on this album is a standout. From the opening track "For the Record" to the closing track "You and I". I love that this album is so catchy and you find yourself rooting for this band, even if you've never heard of them before. The CD feels a lot like a live performance (not to say the sound quality is bad) simply I feel they are preforming right in front of me. I can FEEL the energy. The only complaint I have about this album is, it's only seven tracks. Just when your ready for more, the ride is over. But I can't complain too much because the thing has been in my CD play for about a year now. Trust me. Take a listen to this band and you just may have found your new favorite.

Caleb B
    This band is great indeed. I went to school with one of the vocalist/guitarists, Matt Toney. He's an awesome guy, always rocking the next fashion trends, really down to earth. I haven't got the pleasure of meeting the rest of the band unfortunately. Great review.
    Maverick1992
    Megalomaniac46 : Wow, another all 10s review. Real original
    If you listen to the record, you'd know why.