As The World Bleeds review by Theocracy

• Released: Nov 21, 2011
Theocracy: As The World Bleeds

I popped in this baby and began cruising down the road. The first song lasted ELEVEN MINUTES. But, it was eleven minutes of awesomeness that let me know Theocracy's third album, As The World Bleeds, was going to be just as good as the previous albums. This is the first time the singer is actually only singing, so it's the first album with an entire band. This album is an amazing example of how Christian metal can be Christian and sound good. You can tell they worked really hard on the songs because they don't follow a specific format. The riffs are awesome, the singer does not overuse what he can do with his voice, and he also has amazing harmony parts in there just at the right places.

The lyrics are of course, Christian, but that does not mean they aren't good. They actually have some depth into them and aren't written without meaning. The singer uses a perfect voice for progressive power metal. He changes octaves and does not just scream the entire time. That's what I really like about Theocracy!

This album definitely is a keeper for me. It's just as good as their previous ones and I would love to see them live! I may not have every single song on there put on my favorites, but I know I will always love Drown, Nailed, and Hide In The Fairytale. The only thing I hate is that there are no music videos for any of their songs! I'd love to see them together as a band. If this was lost or something happened to it, I'm definitely going to reburn it from my media library. To be honest, these guys truly make me happy about the Christian Metal genre. They are really showing off skills you don't hear too often in it and I think it won't be too long before they are leading the Christian Progressive Power Metal genre with the potential they have. And yes, if you haven't figured it out yet, I am a die hard fan.

Ibeanez
    Bananafish003 wrote: I don't care whether or not this band is any good or not (though I wouldn't be surprised if they sucked); being a religious-oriented band and naming yourself "Theocracy" is just scary. Does anyone here know what Theocracy means? It's a type of government where the most "holy" politicians are allowed the most power in governing. In other words, an entirely corrupt system.
    No, a theocracy is a government in which God himself is the commander in chief. It has nothing to do with what you said.
    Ibeanez
    Just thought I'd point out that christians aren't the ones who want a seperate genre for themselves.
    EpiExplorer
    iH8CarAccidents wrote: There are some legit Christian bands out there (UnderOath, As I Lay Dying, Demon Hunter, Becoming the Archetype, The Chariot, August Burns Red... Etc.) so I'm not gong to dismiss them on that alone. Dunno about the whole power metal thing though. It has the potential to be very corny... Like Stryper level corny.
    So all those factory line metalcore bands aren't corny to you? Poo on a poo stick.
    Bananafish003
    Clayden82
    By the way for all those who have said that Christians shouldn't be in metal I just wanna point out that the following band members are all devout Born Again Christians: - Dave Mustaine (Megadeth) - David Ellefson (Megadeth) - Nicko McBrain (Iron Maiden) - Fieldy (Korn) - Brian Head Welch (ex Korn) - James Hetfield (Metallica) - Dan Spitz (Anthrax) - Alice Cooper - Blackie Lawless (W.A.S.P.) And lots lots more...
    iH8CarAccidents
    12stoneslover33
    absolutely not. All of their lyrics are extremely in depth, well thought, and get to the point without being corny. and honestly, I personally believe they have as much if not more talent when it comes to writing music than Iron Maiden does.
    Clayden82
    I am a Christian and having Christian metal bands is awesome thing because a Christian who likes metal can listen without worrying about any dumb satanic lyrics that might be lurking
    Jezmic
    Loved this album. 'I am' is a total epic song, and takes up a fair slab of the album! My favourite is probably Hide in the fairytale. Saw the music video though... and now am not sure what they're on about exactly. I mean, candles everywhere? Sure they ain't Jews and not Christians? In response to a few comments, Christian metal and Christian rock are actual music genres, defined by the band's belief in Jesus and that their lyrics either refer to being a Christian, discuss Christianity or are gospel lyrics. Personally I love Christian bands. Think about it - they're talented and popular, but they don't abuse it - they dedicate their songs and hopefully their lives to God. Only downside is that non-Christians are less likely to listen to it.
    thegreasefire
    thegreasefire
    Kajinaga wrote: damillion wrote: WTF is christian metal? -.- As soon as you mention Jesus in every song you're entitled to your own genre. XD Christian metal would be metal that is has Christian lyrics? It's a legit genre, look it up. Also, they don't just mention Jesus in their songs, their songs revolve around Christianity. thegreasefire wrote: I personally really enjoyed this album, but I have to say, this review made me want to puke. Seriously... What is a "Christian Metal Band"? I mean, Nicko McBrain is a Christian. Does that make Iron Maiden a Christian band? Iron Maiden does not revolve around a certain concept. They play all different types of songs. Just because the members are Christian doesn't make it a Christian metal band, the lyrics matter as well.
    I believe that a genre of music is defined by the play style, not the subject matter of the lyrics. Most bands that some consider to be "Christian Metal" have released songs that have nothing to do with Christianity.
    Kajinaga