The Truth Is... review by Theory of a Deadman

• Released: Jul 12, 2011
Theory of a Deadman: The Truth Is...

This is Theory Of A Deadman's 4th sudio album, and they have kept true to their sound the entire way. They are a Canadian alternative band that has many different sides. While most of their music is general alternative type stuff, they also have written ballads, and even a few hope songs, such as "Head Above Water" off of this latest album. Overall the same sort of sound as the other albums, but I don't think anyone is complaining about it.

On at least two of the tracks, Theory sings about the fun of being someone less socially acceptable. Their first track on the CD entitled "Lowlife" (kind of self explanitory) is currently receiving massive airplay, and is becoming a fan favorite to anyone who has had he oppertunity to see them live. Then on their song "Gentleman" they sing "Girls don't want a gentleman/they say the do but in the end/girls don't want a gentleman/they want a loser like me". Overall fan reception to these different lyrical ideas has seemed to be pretty posative. Lead singer Tyler Conolly keeps his impressive range and angry sounding mid-range style vocals throughout the album, making it a familiar sounding album, though on tracks like "Love Is Hell" or "We Were Men" he sounds a bit mournful, which is a new addition, but it seems to be pulled off pretty well. Nine times out of ten you can determine what the lyrics will be like from the opening to the track, so I think it matches really well.

I think that the new idea of "Lowlife" is something new that fans can definatly look for in the future. Looking at it in comparison to their albums, they stay true to their original sound, but the complexity of their songs has drastically improved! If someone tried to steal this album from me I would hunt them down, beat the with a crow bar, and take it back. Noteable tracks are "Lowlife", "B-tch Came Back", "Hurricane", "Head Above Water", and "Easy To Love You". If you have the fortune to buy the deluxe edition then you will get 6 extra tracks, including an absolutly beautiful acoustic version of "Easy To Love You".

tubbsy5
    yea, im guessing the cd isnt horrible, but straight 10s! i highly doubt that
    Bezza27
    i really dont understand all the hate for these and nickelback. I mean, they have decent songs, they sell well and they all seem like decent guys,
    slaveskinJACKET
    Bananafish003 wrote: TheSilverBeatle wrote: Usually reviews are subject to opinion, but this review can be scientifically proven wrong, Theory of a Deadman are a decent mainstream band (I'll take them over Nickelback ANYDAY) but they are not capable of a 10/10 album, I'd say 6/10 would be their absolute max. Yes, it's a bad review, but you'd only take them over Nickelback because Nickelback has a worse reputation. Really, Theory of A Deadman is just as bad.
    Really, Theory of a Deadman is worse . But Nickelback does have a worse reputation (and they did release Dark Horse , although it's no worse than any one Theory of a Deadman album).
    damillion
    I just reviewed this and gave it "2". I'll be rating it too for good measure.
    bokma
    This. +1
    priestfan76
    The band isn't bad, and the solo in Drag Me To Hell is pretty cool, despite it sounding like a Synester Gates ripoff, but the lyrics kinda turn me off immediately, it's the same shit you here from rappers, getting ****ed up, partying, ****ing bitches, repeat process, and I feel like every Hard Rock band just talks about the same exact shit.
    CaptinK'nuckles
    dominicmorlan : Okay, to start, I didnt think my personal scores for the cd would be posted, but the scores of UG, so that is my fault. I put it at straight 10's because, yes, I am a HUGE fan of Theory, so I will try to write with less bias next time, alright? And whats with all the Theory haters reading a review of their cd? Stop wasting your time on a review of a band you dont personally like, and read reviews of bands you DO like. Just a thought...
    It doesn't matter how big of a fan you are, if you're going to review something on a public forum, do it with at least SOME profession. And why do we read these reviews even when we don't like the album? It's damn fun to see what fanboys like yourself have to say through biased eyes!
    rocker222
    meh i like them but straight tens????? bad bad review. thats like saying its the greatest cd you ever heard, and im sure thats not the greatest cd you ever heard. if it is you need to listen to a different radio station, and get new friends.
    dominicmorlan
    I'm not trying to snap at anyone, I do appreciate the advice on writing reviews, this is only my third after all, so if you could give me a break that would be nice. I didnt expect it to receive such negative feedback, so I appologize. I looked for a way re-write my review from a less biased standpoint, but UG dosent have anything like that, I swear I'm not trying to snap at anyone. I agree that 10 out of 10 is not this album, and that sould be for Abbey Road for sure, so please forgive me for screwing up one of my first few reviews, I'm kind of new at this
    BaronVonGarske
    guitoorbenchi
    happyjack9 wrote: 10/10 should be saved for Abbey Road, Who's Next, Dark Side of the Moon, Nevermind etc. I feel like the sound of me going to the bathroom would get a 5 of UG.
    IMO, there is no scale that you could put any Beatles's album, much less Abbey Road, that will do it justice. People need to realize that this is an arbitrary review (just like every other review ever). Every album is a 10/10 to some people and every album is a 0/10 to others.
    Sparda93
    Interpolheed wrote: $hithappen$16 wrote: Interpolheed wrote: Man, this guy is really a fanboy. You tried to give him tips on how to write better reviews and he snaps back like a crab with sand in its vagina. Also, **** this band/album. crabs have vaginas? Ask the crabby one
    He is a kid after all
    LordEarthworm
    dominicmorlan wrote: Okay, to start, I didnt think my personal scores for the cd would be posted, but the scores of UG, so that is my fault. I put it at straight 10's because, yes, I am a HUGE fan of Theory, so I will try to write with less bias next time, alright? And whats with all the Theory haters reading a review of their cd? Stop wasting your time on a review of a band you dont personally like, and read reviews of bands you DO like. Just a thought...
    someone's a little butthurt. look, i wanted to know how this album compared to their previous ones and this didn't help tbh. but just because people don't like your review means they hate you or anything like that, just learn from their criticism.
    dominicmorlan
    Alright, if you want to know how it compares to the last one, I'd say its about the same, different ideas in the lyrics, but same general Theory. Definatly listen to "Easy To Love", its kind of the "All or Nothing" of this album
    sn00ze
    I have to say, for me, this is so far the worst Theory album. It is soft, not that it is a bad thing but they sound more like some pop/rock-country? band. Most of the songs remind me of "The Lost Trailers" band and their album Holler Back which was pretty bad. The last thing is the lyric, I don't pay much attention when it comes to these bands, but this is way to lame. 4th album still bitching about girls/girlfriends? Bitch came back + Gentleman is the worst. I want Santa Monica, In the Middle and stuff like these back.
    Kameliasz
    DisarmGoliath wrote: Didn't realise Nickelback had changed their name... /troll
    sewoo55
    bokma wrote: BaronVonGarske wrote: OP Check out Animals as Leaders. Their album doesnt even have vocals and it's 10/10 in my book. This. +1
    HAHAHAHAHA animals as leaders..... yeah Tosin Abasi is a god
    $hithappen$16
    crabs have vaginas?
    Interpolheed
    Ask the crabby one
    Matt_Lott
    TheSilverBeatle
    LordEarthworm
    they have kept true to their sound the entire way.
    so in other words they've stayed mediocre through the entire discography? but seriously, much less bias.
    Leather Sleeves
    Matt_Lott wrote: 'definatly' deserves all 10s. Proof read, it'll save you sometimes! And I also doubt the straight 10s but I can see that you're a huge fan of the band. Maybe a little less bias views next time.
    Personally, I'm a fan of "posative" and the "the new idea of "Lowlife" is something new..."
    Bananafish003
    jwax wrote: fan*cough*boy....
    Is there an issue with that? At least I'm giving support for a band I like
    happyjack9
    Because part of rock has always been diversifying and you should still be interested in stuff going on in rock. If not, you get close minded, mainstream crap as has happened recently.
    happyjack9
    dominicmorlan wrote: jwax wrote: fan*cough*boy.... Is there an issue with that? At least I'm giving support for a band I like
    Theres an issue with not being able to listen to music with an unbias mind. Its the same problem with Gaga fans and Bieber fans. I like Metallica. Doesn't mean I should give St Anger straight 10s.
    Interpolheed
    xxcalibur
    no way 10's across the board. let me say this as non-confrentational as i can...the song "b*tch came back" is a TOAL F'N ripoff of a song from a KIDS cartoon. see thi:
    if you cant see the ripoff im sorry but your a tard. they should get all 1's for the blatant ripoff