The Truth Is... review by Theory of a Deadman

• Released: Jul 12, 2011
  • Reviewer's score: 2 Junky
Theory of a Deadman: The Truth Is...

Having listened to all of Theory Of A Deadman's albums before I found a lot of things in this bands sound that I love. Primarily I love the excessive use of slide guitar and I was in love with the band when the banjo started working. Having said that, this album on the other hand does not bring me that smile I had on my face while listening to "Gasoline", which I still think is their best record to date. The track "Villian" starts out pretty good and sounds quite a bit like the old ToaD. Literally every song on this album however was ruined for me by the cheesy choruses, the predictable melodies and the lack on innovation. You expect a "tralalala" around every corner and it feels like they've gone for a "party rock anthem"-direction even more than they did before. To me, the formula is getting a bit old and it doesn't work. If you are a fan of the party anthems this band has produced however, you will love the new record. It's full of anthems, sing-along choruses and features a ton of ballads.

To me, the lyrics have never been the star of the show with ToaD. It's nothing new, but with a humourous twist to the lyrics every now and then. "You lie about you, you lie about me, you lie about your exes and the STD". It reminds me a bit of "Hate My Life" from the last record they made. Overall however, I can't sit idely by and say nothing negative about the lyrics when suddenly the words "Love is shit" are thrown into my ear. Let's just say that there are bands that are poetic and careful about the lyrics, and then there are bands that don't really care, and that's where I would put ToaD. Every single song is about premature love problems and sex. If you were expecting something new, this isn't for you. If you were happy with the old formula, this won't be a problem for you.

In all honesty, I think this record is losing out on the heaviness and the country rock-ish feel a bit too much. If you love the party anthems you will love this record, but it's just not for me in the slightest. As for me personally I will throw this record in the thrash bin, pretend it never existed and the next time I want to hear something heavy and rocky I will put on Black Stone Cherry, and if I want to party with party rock it's back to Supersuckers or Monster Magnet. Better luck next time ToaD. I'll be waiting for your next record.