The Else review by They Might Be Giants

• Released: Jul 10, 2007
They Might Be Giants: The Else

They Might be Giants or generaly a very poppy rocky band, commonly associated with nerd rock and stupidity at the same time. This album, though, was produced by The Dust Brothers, and they pushed it into a more loop based sound. This album is by far more serious than there other albums. Also, anybody familiar with They Might be Giants knows that there's one guy who makes par songs(Flansburgh), and one guy who makes excellent songs (Linell). But this time around, Flansburgh really showed what he had. His commonly nasily voice didn't show much, if at all, in these songs. Linell has improved himself, making his usually simple tunes much stronger and serious. You can still find the signature They Might be Giants sound in this album(Bee of the Bird of the Moth, The Mesopotamians,) of course.

As mentioned above, it's not the signature They Might be Giants style, and same follows for the lyrics. The lyrics have turned a bit more serious, but not too serious. My faveorite lyrics on the track are, by far, "I'm Impressed," a song about how we're so loving of violence yet when the time comes for action we don't step up. The only song lyrics that don't really match the lyrics are the verses of "Shadow Government," but beside that it's a pretty nice fit. John Linell, of course, is still a fantastic singer with an absolutely amazing voice. John Flansburgh, though still not as good as Linell, struly improved for this and was able to really pull through to make a much better CD.

I personally can't think of another album like this, there only song I can think of that compares is "Man, It's So Loud in Here." The really stand out songs are "I'm Impressed"(a guitar-heavy track with strong electronic drum sounds) "Take Out the Trash" (an old feeling woman empowerment songs, much like "Hotel Detective") "Upside Down Frown (a soft song mixed with hard electronic drums)and "Bee of the Bird of the Moth" (which resembles They Might be Giants signature sound the most.)This is an album with a very unique sound, and I constantly have a new song stuck in my head every day. It is by far one of my faveorite albums, and when it comes out on CD I plan to buy it, beeing that right now it's only on iTunes so I had to borrow it from a friend.

Accordion5000
    I agree with ParticleManTMBG. Many of their songs come off as stupid or silly, but if you really sit down and listen, you'll see that they are indeed quite serious.