Out Of The Vein review by Third Eye Blind

• Released: May 13, 2003
Third Eye Blind: Out Of The Vein

Third Eye Blind's third album is one that stands all on it's own. Out of the Vein shows us that they have, in fact, outgrown their Semi-Charmed Life days and have begun a new era. With that being said, don't pop this CD in expecting to hear the pop anthems that we have come to know and love. Instead, you are treated to songs of life, loss, and of course, love. This is, without a doubt, a much more "Chill" album than the rest of theirs. Off the top of my head, I can count maybe 3 songs where heavy guitar is used. The rest of the tunes are more laid back. Some may detest this album because of their change of sound. It comes across to a lot of people as if they have "Lost their passion." Instead, they challenge you to listen to the words, and not the riffs. Great change of pace.

Stephan Jenkins and great lyrics have gone hand in hand for a long time. I'm my opinion, the only song that he's ever written that we could probably do without is "Camouflage". Back on topic, Out of the Vein has some of the best lyrical content that I have ever seen from these guys. The songs that stand out for me are: Palm Reader, Blinded, Wake For Young Souls and Misfits. Stephan's voice teases us with his smooth flow, sensual words, and genuine feeling behind each and every word he sings. What more could you ask for?

Like I said in the beginning, this album is it's own entity entirely. The Red Album represents their pop anthem beginning, Blue, their awkward middle stage, and then this masterpiece shows us what they can really do. I love that this album is so simple musically, yet, from a lyrical standpoint, it blows me away. Out of the vein makes us listen to the music, instead of just hear it. The only thing that bothers me is that this album, which, from a commercial standpoint, has failed, will more than likely never grace the ears of the masses like the first album did. Which is a huge shame. I guess this album will just have to be, for my fellow 3eb fans, our dirty little secret.