Out Of The Vein Review

8.8
 8.7
 8.9
Out Of The Vein Reviewed by: Zombat, on may 06, 2004

Sound: Third Eye Blind has once again made a great CD, once again experimenting with Alternitave and Rock, with great riffs and solos that complement the lyrics, and are complemented in return. // 10

Lyrics: Stunning lyrics. Heartfelt and intuitave - the poetry is excellent and it moved me, painting pictures occasionally. As usual, the lyrics are just as good as the music being played. // 10

Overall Impression: Once you got used to all the songs, their other two albums, while classic, pale in comparison, the powerful lyrics and riffs of 'My Hit and Run' outshining most all the songs in Blue and Red combined. The one song that pisses me off, tho, is "Self Righteous," an annoying song because of the vocals... I feel the music could have better lyrics. Every other song is excellent however, and I would definitely suggest buying if you liked any one of their CD's. // 10

Out Of The Vein Reviewed by: Stevie B, on may 12, 2006

Sound: Once again Third Eye Blind have produced an outstanding album. There pop-rock sound is as good as ever and with killer melodies and great guitar riffs it really showcases their best work. It is their third album and their best. No preffesional music videos were made for any of the singles off of this album. // 10

Lyrics: Stephan Jenkins is an amzingly lyricist not only in that he can write meaningfull and clever lyrics, but the way he sings them suits the music perfectly and adds to their amazing sound. Songs such as Misfits and Crystal Baller showcase his best work here. // 10

Overall Impression: This is the best album by 3eb. The best songs on it are Crystal Baller, Misfits, Faster and Blinded. All great lyrically and musically. I love the pop influence making all of their heavier songs sound so radio-friendly. If stolen/lost I would definately get this again. One hell of an album. // 10

Out Of The Vein Reviewed by: jtalep, on january 08, 2009

Sound: Whilst the sound of this band has always been at a high standard, the feeling on this still isn't as natural and exiting as it was on their debut self titled album. There are no real stand out songs like 'Background' or 'Narcolepsy'. Listening to the album, there are no songs I dislike, but on the same token none of them have gone on my playlist. 'My hit and run' and 'Misfits' are really the only memorable songs on the album. // 4

Lyrics: Again, whilst there is nothing wrong with the lyrics, and they are still of a higher standard than most albums, it still lacks the kind of energy and passion combined in the bands debut album. The lyrics aren't sang with a lot of conviction, there are exceptions like 'Wake for Your Souls', which is original and has the likability factor that for the most, is missing in this album. // 4

Overall Impression: There is one major downfall of this album, and that is that it's just not got the same vibe as the bands debut album, the songs are average, and some good, but none are excellent, and most of the songs on the bands debut album were instant classics. On it's own it's a decent album, but it doesn't excite me like the debut album did, and still does. // 5

Out Of The Vein Reviewed by: badfish2829, on january 09, 2009

Sound: Third Eye Blind's third album is one that stands all on it's own. Out of the Vein shows us that they have, in fact, outgrown their Semi-Charmed Life days and have begun a new era. With that being said, don't pop this CD in expecting to hear the pop anthems that we have come to know and love. Instead, you are treated to songs of life, loss, and of course, love. This is, without a doubt, a much more "Chill" album than the rest of theirs. Off the top of my head, I can count maybe 3 songs where heavy guitar is used. The rest of the tunes are more laid back. Some may detest this album because of their change of sound. It comes across to a lot of people as if they have "Lost their passion." Instead, they challenge you to listen to the words, and not the riffs. Great change of pace. // 9

Lyrics: Stephan Jenkins and great lyrics have gone hand in hand for a long time. I'm my opinion, the only song that he's ever written that we could probably do without is "Camouflage". Back on topic, Out of the Vein has some of the best lyrical content that I have ever seen from these guys. The songs that stand out for me are: Palm Reader, Blinded, Wake For Young Souls and Misfits. Stephan's voice teases us with his smooth flow, sensual words, and genuine feeling behind each and every word he sings. What more could you ask for? // 10

Overall Impression: Like I said in the beginning, this album is it's own entity entirely. The Red Album represents their pop anthem beginning, Blue, their awkward middle stage, and then this masterpiece shows us what they can really do. I love that this album is so simple musically, yet, from a lyrical standpoint, it blows me away. Out of the vein makes us listen to the music, instead of just hear it. The only thing that bothers me is that this album, which, from a commercial standpoint, has failed, will more than likely never grace the ears of the masses like the first album did. Which is a huge shame. I guess this album will just have to be, for my fellow 3eb fans, our dirty little secret. // 10

Out Of The Vein Reviewed by: Bojangles_Birch, on february 27, 2009

Sound: Third Eye Blind has shaped my musical taste since I was a little kid. They have the definitive 90's rock sound, but have been very successful in adapting their sound into a new decade. Tony Fredianelli replaced their former guitarist Kevin Cadogan. This album is filled with some of the catchiest hooks that the band has ever written and although most third eye blind fans would scoff to hear me say this, I appreciate Tony's guitar work as much/even more than Kevin's. Blasphemy, I know. Listen and decide for yourself. // 9

Lyrics: Out of the Vein is filled with Stephen Jenkins' musings over a haitus that the band decided to take after recording Blue, their second album. The lyrical genious of Mr. Jenkins is underappreciated by modern standards. He takes on some serious subject matter in the most clever ways. If you listen to his more lovey dovey songs on the album you will be pleased to know that they were written about his then girlfriend, Charlize Theron. The lyrics really blow your mind. // 10

Overall Impression: 01. Faster - Great opening riff to start and album. Has an infectious chorus that makes you feel like you are in a stadium shouting out the lyrics alongside Mr. Jenkins. 02. Blinded - Good choice for a single. Very poppy and marketable. I really appreciate and feel the history that Stephen crammed into this song about a past lover. 03. Forget Myself - Awesome bass intro! This song borders on full on rap. don't let this scare you, it's great. 04. Danger - Political tune that hit's you with a more up tempo riff that is good to listen to, however it doesnt't really get stuck in my head like the other songs do. If it came up on my ipod shuffle though, I would definitely let it play. 05. Crystal Baller - Undeniabley one of their best songs, acoustic intro bursting into a melody that I challenge you not to hum later in the day after listening. 06. My Hit and Run - Jumps right into a textbook 3eb song. Cool song about the final thoughts of a man in a motor accident. 07. Misfits - it feels like stephen is talking to you in this song. Mellow and slow, it's an aquired taste, it wouldn't be the first song I show to somebody who hasn't heard this album. 08. Can't Get Away - So catchy it hurts. Great lyrics that seem simple but have a hidden depth that is so great about 3eb. One of my favorites on the album/by the band. 09. Wake For Young Souls - An orgy of sound and ascending greatness! One of my all time favorite songs. Every piece of it is like a journey that needs to be heard by everyone. Catchy everything, great rhythm 10. Palm Reader - Cool use of harmonics by Tony, this song was written about Charlize Theron and is a very good insight to Stephens relationships and writing style. I appreciate this song more and more. Not my favorite at first, but now it is. 11. Self Righteous - Features the singer of the Moldy Peaches... My least favorite band. God I hate her. Why Stephen? Why? You have ears... Skip this one. The only soil to what would have otherwise been a flawless album. 12. Company - Everything about this song is great: lyrics, guitar work, rhythm. It contains one of my favorite solos by the band. 13. Good Man - Slow and steady finishes this race. It is a great song that puts the period at the end of this album. It has a fantastic instrumental to finish. 14. Another Life (bonus track) - Check it out, great rhythm. Borders on rap in the verse with a wonderful chorus Great Album, Must Listen! // 9

Comments