Third Eye Blind review by Third Eye Blind

• Released: Apr 8, 1997
Third Eye Blind: Third Eye Blind

This is just a good CD. You won't find too many "innovations" here, just good, catchy music. Take Semi-Charmed Life, for example. A kickass song that's just your standard three chord rock in G. It's a straight rock record that's not afraid to go hard ("Graduate," "London") or soft ("How's It Going To Be," "I Want You"). Usually a reconsilliation of the two works best, as in my personal favorite track, "The Background" that creates the atmosphere of a misty ocean in open D.

Stephen Jenkins is quite a singer. He does put forth a wide range of emotions as he croons, sings, wails and screams, sometimes within the space of a single song. "Narcolepsy" features a rather impressive falsetto. Lyrically, he's actually quite good on this album much better than his next two efforts, for sure (remember "10 Days Late?" Isn't that disgusting?) So I guess this is a perfect score, eh?

Third Eye Blind's first CD is a good buy more solid musically and more creative lyrically than their next efforts. Though the 3EB is often decried by your rabid antipop elitits, I challenge any of them to come up with a valid reason why Third Eye Blind is an invalid, meaningless group. The fact is, they're a band with real talent and creativity, and it shines the most on this album.